Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #21

Re: amputation

I am sorry the leg had to be removed but am very pleased to hear she is doing well.
Dont listen to those ignorant people. Its not cruel at all, it would have been cruel to let her keep the leg and therefore in suffering. Cats and dogs etc dont see or think about things that same way we do. For them all that matters is survival and if that means survival with only 3 legs, then so be it.
You have done all you can to help your kitty live a happy life. All my love and best wishes to kitty and you and your family. xxx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #22

It is such a shame that she had to lose her leg but you must be thankful that she no longer has the pain there ...... and she will now be a much happier cat.

She will adapt to her three legs a lot quicker than you can imagine

I'm pleased to hear your daughter accepted the news, it would be a very hard person who didn't shed a few tears whan faced with that.... (((hugs))) to you both....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
14-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #23

Onwards and upwards! I am sure you will not look back on your decision. The future is bright for Tia. I'm glad your daughter seems to have come to terms with the amputation and I am sure that when she sees how well Tia copes without her leg that tears and upset will be a distant memory. Big hugs to you, your daughter and Tia tonight x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #24

Glad Tia's recovering and to be at home soon! She'll cope amazingly well, and be out of pain...glad your daughter's all right with it...hugs to all of you!! xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
14-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #25

Sorry to hear she had to loose her leg.
She'll cope, you will be more uneasy about it all than she will, a few weeks & she will be acting like she's always had 3 legs.
Be strong for your daughter & to the people who say you should have had her PTS.... they obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

***My girls just had a peep at what I was typing & asked who has had to loose their leg Mom, they both looked sad (9 & 10) - I said it was a cat that had a very poorly leg & now she will have no pain & be a happy cat, they have gone to bed with a smile***

Kids have a strange way of understanding....Be strong for your daughter & be strong for your cat too.

{{{hugs}}}

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
14-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Sorry to hear she had to loose her leg.
She'll cope, you will be more uneasy about it all than she will, a few weeks & she will be acting like she's always had 3 legs.
Be strong for your daughter & to the people who say you should have had her PTS.... they obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

***My girls just had a peep at what I was typing & asked who has had to loose their leg Mom, they both looked sad (9 & 10) - I said it was a cat that had a very poorly leg & now she will have no pain & be a happy cat, they have gone to bed with a smile***

Kids have a starange way of understanding....Be strong for your daughter & be strong for your cat too.

{{{hugs}}}
awwwwwwwww thanks all and that 1 made me cry!!my neighbours daughter who is 4 had to be told today too her reaction was "aw quick mam they cant take her leg off phone the police thats naughty"bless they have both been told that it wont look pretty and they cant!pick her up but theyre allowed to stroke her is she wants to be stroked.my worry now is the kitten!she thinks tia is her mum and to date hasnt really left her alone now do i cage tia when im not here or just shut her in the room with her tray???hmmmmmmmm dont want the little 1 hurting her and tia will need some peace

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
15-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #27

I think you will be amazed at just how active and how happy Tia will be when you get her home. Honestly, they do really well and carry on life just as before. Don't be too precious with her (except keeping her wound safe etc for the immediate post-op period), she will want to get on with a pain free life, and if she misses a chair when jumping up once or twice, that's OK, she will learn and adjust.
You and your daughter will soon get used to your new, very special, Tia.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
15-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #28

agree with all that DM said

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #29

So sorry to hear that she had to lose the leg, but great to hear that she is recovering well! I'm sure she'll be absolutely fine when she gets home and in a couple of weeks you'll look back and wonder what you were so worried about. Keep us posted on how she gets on. xx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
15-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #30

well it looks awfull!they left more on than i expected she in herself seems quite bright tho!shes purred and eaten drunk allot though!?i have given her her pain killer so she asleep now she is washing everywhere like mad which she hasnt done since she broke it really she has washed the iodine off had a few licks over the stitches but not going at them,i tried a collar but she was falling all over so took it off!just hope she doesnt need it!went straight for the cat flap!!but its locked lol.vets said try not to let her jump for a few days so she is safe n sound in the cage for now.kids were bit scared of how the wound looks and the leg im not suprised it is pretty horrific looking!!i cried n cried after i picked her up today i felt really mean for doing that to her.she has to go back for a check on monday then all being well stitches out in 10 days.i want to take pics but i dont if u know wot i mean??looks too awfull might look better when the fur grows back well i hope it does!