Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: dsh tabby and tortoiseshell
27-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #1

Fleas & buster collars - all advice welcome

hi there
I have 2 problems...
Marmite's been in a car accident 3 weeks ago, really damaged her back right leg but is fixing well. Came home yesterday with a buster collar and went loopy!

At 9.30pm tonight we've discovered the collar makes no difference, as she was able to do some kind of pussy yoga and reach the leg to lick it! The vets were clear that she wasn't to do that, so I've taken off the collar and taped up the leg myself with a sock! I'll take her back to the vets tomorrow.

Help - anyone managed to stop their cat licking a back leg wound - is my cat wierdly flexible to be able to get her head round a buster collar??

Also I'm getting lots of bites this week, she's been on our bed (not usually allowed) - she's not scratching at all.
I have found black bits of dirt on the bed sheets

Help - I assume this is fleas, top tips??

thanks Helen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #2

Re: Fleas & buster collars - all advice welcome

Hi Helen - sorry to hear that Marmite's been in a car accident - it's good to hear that she's on the way to recovery. What a stressful time for you all.

Start off with the fleas - yes, that's what they are. You will need to treat Marmite and because of her wound, I'd ask the vet what is best to use for her. As to your house/bedroom, the best household flea spray to use is Acclaim BUT I don't think it's recommended to use on human bedding. I found that using one of those sticky rolls to get flea dirt/larvae/eggs off the bed worked well some years ago when I had flea problems and an elderly poorly cat. Burn or bin the sticky strips - and do it daily. Washing the bedding does help but if you use a low temperature wash it will not kill the flea eggs - EEEEK! Hope this helps a bit.

As for the buster collar - is it a hardish/ cone shaped thing? Your Marmite must be a contortionist to get around it, perhaps it's the wrong size or does not fit well enough. Again, I'd ask your vet.

Good luck with it all and I do hope that Marmite improves quickly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #3

I can't improve on Angie's advice. What a clever girl to manage to get around the cone collar.

Cats owned: dsh tabby and tortoiseshell
30-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

Thanks - have de-fleaed the whole house - what a day!
The vet recommended Acclaim too, so bought a giant can!

Marmite now has a larger cone and seems to have resigned herself to it! Her wound is healing, so hopefully won't be too long til she can get back to normal!

thanks for your advice, it's just nice to hear it from experienced cat owners, as it's the first big problem I've hit with mine!
cheers Helen