Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
27-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #1

Blood results back

I finally got round to picking up Mitzi's most recent blood results on paper for Mitzi's TT4 and haematology. There's a few things which are marked as high, and I don't know what they are..:

'Biochemistry
Alk Phos *59 U/L High (0.0 -50.0)
ALT *168 U/L High (0.0 -40.0)

HAEMATOLOGY
Eosinophils *2.94 x10^9/L High (0.0 -1.5)'

The 'Clinical Comments' say:

'T4 is higher than ideal for the control of hyperthyroidism and review of medication and/or patient compliance with the medication may be required.' and
'Haematologist Comment Platelet count confirmed in film. Slight polychromasia'

Vet said her liver enzymes are slighty elevated but didn't recommend Fortekor for her liver when I asked; also didn't think that raising her hyperthyriod meds would be a good step forward. I don't know why, perhaps due to the liver..? Are they that elevated she is beyond help. Can anyone explain the lingo for me please..?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #2

Re: Blood results back

Elaine wrote an article on Understanding your pet's blood, hopefully it will be of some help to you.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=38055

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #3

I do wish vets would give out a leaflet explaining things, which is why Elaine's article is so very helpful. I think vets are generally poor at explaining what things mean to the layperson.

Catsey Senior

27-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

Thanks Mags for pointing out Elaine's brilliant post....she has bad liver damage by the looks of things.. *168 is is over 4 times what it should be (liver damage), and Alk Phos is over the mark a little which also indicates liver damage, sadly.. Explains the reason why the vet didn't recommend upping her meds. I didn't realise it was this bad Still she's comfortable for now and looks forward to her meals and her blanket and nightly massage. I know the day will come shortly when after 17.5 years I'll just have to say goodbye but I just hate to think that I might be failing her by not doing anything for her which I could have done to help. Thanks, very helpful post Elaine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
30-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #5

I wouldn't worry too much about liver results, liver enzymes are often raised with hyperthyroidism. All my cats, when above the recommended thyroid levels have had both these enzymes raised. Once stable the enzymes have dropped.
I also wouldn't worry about them being too raised but would want to know why the vet doesn't want to increase her med dose anyway- is she also in renal failure, this would be the only reason my vets would not raise the dosage to control thyroid levels. Our old dog Deli have liver enzymes up to 10 times over the normal levels, and for the last year of get life was 5 times above normal with no I'll effects.
I don't think fortekor helps with liver anyway, it helps with kidney damage. There are various meds which can help with the liver and a prescription diet can help but I would look at why they are raised first before diving into that area.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #6

It's wonderful that this forum has members with such a wide experience of various conditions.

I hope that farthing's post above gives you some comfort Truth and helps you to look at things with a bit more hope. I know how much Mitzi means to you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
30-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #7

I hope this works, as I'm on my phone.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18196729/

Catsey Senior

01-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #8

Hi farthing, thanks, yes the link worked, and her renal function is relatively good.

Your post (above) refers to the liver enzymes being stabilised after 131l therapy (radiation therapy).
Unfortunately Mitzi has not had this..She has always been on CARBIMAZOLE (VIDALTA) which is sending her liver enzymes into failure..

The leaflet unfortunately confirms this:
"Treatment of hyperthyroidism with Carbimazole may also induce an elevation of liver enzymes (AP and ALT) or worsening of pre-existing hepatic disorders. Liver enzymes should therefore be monitored before and during treatment"...
"Severe cases may require temporary or permanent treatment discontinuation, although symptomatic therapy, (nutritional and fluid support) may be required."
"In most of the case abnormalities will resolve spontaneously within one month after treatment discontinuation."

It then goes on to say what stopping the meds will do:

.."cessation of treatment with Carbimazole (within 48 hours) will result in a rapid return to pre-treatment thyroid levels. Chronic administration is therfore necessary unless surgical or radiation induced thyroidectomy is performed."

The BEST thing I could do here that would put Mitzi on the right track, (those in the US with hyperthroid cats take note!) would be HILLS SCIENCE Y/D DIET. It's for hyperthyroid cats and can apparently rule out the need for meds COMPLETELY; it's been in the US since August and I spent ages trying to get it but it's not due to be released and marketed in Britain until next year which will be too little too late for my mini Mitzi.
http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-yd-dry.html

The next best thing is to ensure she has no fish based food, as this contains high levels of IODINE.
http://www.2ndchance.info/lowIodine.htm

Also nutritional support; she is on Hills I/d and I'm offering her this every 4-6 hours to keep her fliuds and intake up, it's easily digestible without making her feel sick. It got a 'thumbs up' this afternoon, she had half a tin in one go, and she's now sleeping it off and gently yakking away and sighing in her sleep, darling angel.

Below is an interesting thread, written by a vet and succinctly put for those experiencing this conditon in their cats.

http://www.2ndchance.info/hyperthyroid.htm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #9

So sorry to hear that Mitzie is having a rough time, I do hipe you can find something to help her. Milkthistle is very good for the liver, vets dispense it in the form of hepatysil, not sure if that helps any.....
A very interesting article though, thanx for sharing it.

Catsey Senior

01-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #10

Hi Elaine,
I tried her on milk thistle a while ago, just a tiny little bit to start with in powder form, she lapped it up with a scrunched up nose and didn't finish it off. She was sick shortly after.. It helps some cats but is reported to make others sick. I haven't noticed it helped at the time so haven't pursued it.