Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #1

Pets at risk from home smoking

This link was posted on another forum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15421552

Makes you think, doesn't it?

I'm putting my hand up here as an ex-smoker. Didn't have kids or a dog at the time, but did have cats. I am sorry little ones if I caused you illness. Both are now gone, and I did have Merlin until he was over 23 years old. Now I have Kizzy, Pip and Monty and none of them know anything about cigarettes.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
26-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #2

Re: Pets at risk from home smoking

Their lungs are far smaller. It goes without saying. Merlin did well, although may be due to the fact that you didn't smoke in the house? It's fatal for birds, as are candles or teflon coated cookware.
I feel sorry for innocent children who are subjected to 2nd hand smoke and know no different, they don't really have any say in the matter.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #3

Wish it were true, Truth, but I'm afraid that I did smoke in the house, in the car, and anywhere else until we started having building works done on the house at which point I smoked in the greenhouse! The best thing the Labour govt. did for me was to ban smoking in public as the worst situation for me was not being able to have a pint and a ciggie, so I stopped smoking and the ban encouraged me not to start again.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
26-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #4

Well done..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #5

I have been a heavy smoker all my adult life; forced to stop in January as my COPD worsened. I miss it terribly; just want to add that none of my cats ever experienced lung problems, and most made it to a respectable old age. Just for the record.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
26-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I have been a heavy smoker all my adult life; forced to stop in January as my COPD worsened. I miss it terribly; just want to add that none of my cats ever experienced lung problems, and most made it to a respectable old age. Just for the record.
I'me glad someone sticks up for us smokers!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
26-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

Well done Angie for giving up

I think smoking is like a lottery as far as health goes, some people get cancer, COPD, etc and some don't, same with our pets breathing in smoke I suppose. I have never been a smoker and after working as a Marie Curie nurse for 4 years I would never encourage anyone to start.