Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
24-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Hypochondriac or otherwise...

Hmmmmm... Not sure if I'm simply being an ignorant parent, or being too quick to jump to conclusions with little information.

Earlier on I realised that I thought I heard Cloud wheezing as I played a game which had her running around a fair bit - up down and around. That said, I stopped, and decided it was worthwhile to check out feline asthma.

I'm now discovering that a coughing/bringing up a hairball type action can in fact be a cat having an asthma attack. Cloud has had coughing sessions of that kind, and I did just take it that she was unsuccessfully (I never discovered anything resembling a hairball anywhere!) dealing with a hairball - and made sure that I gave her 'anti-hairball' biscuits.

And now I find out that it could be something to do with Asthma? She seems to be alright just now - whining at me to play with her again! Just... I don't want to jump at every little thing, but nor do I want to neglect her health - especially when it could be quite life threatening from all I've seen...

Anyone any experience with this kind of thing - and any other possible thoughts about what I might find? She doesn't have any symptoms of a cold that I'm aware of, but...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #2

Re: Hypochondriac or otherwise...

Sorry I don't know - no use to you I'm afraid, but send the gorgeous girl (& you) big hugs & hope all will be okay xx

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #3

No worries... Was partly just trying to get my thoughts straight on the situation anyway. I'm guessing that the first thing is to make an appointment to take wee one in and talk with the vet. I guess I can move on from there.

Bah humbug to phone calls, but it's a wee bit far from home to just drop in to make an appointment unless am passing, and while I will be today, I'll be working and on a bus, so no getting off there!!!

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

OK... after a bit of jumping around, two phonecalls later (arranged an appointment then realised that I couldn't make it!!! ) Cloud is set up with an appointment at 4:10 on Thursday...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #5

I do hope that Cloud is OK ..... I will be very interested to hear how your vet tests for feline asthma. Little Pip did have a couple of "very breathless and panting" sessions after me playing with him with a laser light when he was a kitten. As it didn't occur at any other time I thought he'd just got over excited and I did stop using the laser toy (battery ran out anyway). He's never had it happen again doing "normal" things, or chasing a ball or a bit of string.

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #6

From what I've seen it could be quite complicated. As much ruling other things out as in if you see what I mean. Blood tests to rule out heart worm which apparently mimics it, making sure it's not just a normal allergy, x-rays and similar... Expect-hoping I'll just be told that it's OK, and to keep an eye out!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #7

It's concerning certainly. I don't think you are over reacting but you are obviously a caring cat owner who wants to take the best possible care of your cat. I do hope all proves to be as you say "keep an eye out". Perhaps keep a diary-type thing and observe exact circumstances?

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #8

Very possibly a good idea Angie. I'll certainly try to take a note of anything that I notice between now and Thurs when I take her in, but goodness knows how long I'll actually be around her in that time - about to go out to work where I'll be until 6, out 8:30-who knows what tomorrow (any time up til about 5:30 I think) tomorrow, and then 8:30-3:30 on Thurs, so... Oh well, I'll likely be in all day Fri, a fair part of Sat, most of Sun, and I think I'm off on Mon (and guides have been cancelled due to halloween, so that will be an evening in too! )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #9

Hi Squirrel, firstly, Cloud will not have heartworm. Heartworm is caused by mosquitos, so unless Cloud has been abroad in warmer climes, I think we can safely rule that out.
Coughing can be fairly common in cat and can be caused by a variety of things, house dust, dust from catlitter to name a few.
I am fairly certain that Cloud will be ok but here is a link from the Denes people. xxx
http://denes.co.uk/advice/fact_sheets/feline_asthma.php

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #10

Thanks Elaine. I'm thinking it's probably nothing, but guess it's worthwhile checking out. Better to do that now, than wait and be sorry.

I did have a quick look at the heartworm thing while in work earlier, as I thought it could be helpful to check out causes, but it's good to have what I found confirmed.