Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
25-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #11

Re: Harvey has a bad mouth...

Thanks Elaine, that makes sense. I'll wait until Friday to find out the results of the blood tests before making any decisions. I'll let you know how it goes x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #12

If the results should show that he has Chronic renal failure, try not to worry too much, although the condition is not curable, it is often manageable. xxx
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25488

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Crossbreed
25-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #13

Hi Sarah5 the family cat Geri who lives at my mum's has gingervitus. She's 12. When it first flared up at the beginning of the year she dropped some weight and ended up having to have two teeth removed. She was ok then for the rest of the year up until the last few weeks where her gums have flared up again and are raw. So she has to have more teeth removed if she lasts the next 10 days. (She has a query over active thyroid gland).
She's had to have her food mashed up for her as chewing is an issue at the moment. Hopefully though when she has her back teeth removed she should be ok.
Sorry this doesn't seem to provide too much of an answer but, she does ok!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
25-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #14

As Elaine said, as long as the blood results come back ok then I would go ahead with the dental. As well as the risk of developing a systemic infection if dental disease is left untreated, it can be very painful!
With an older cat it can be advisable to put him on intravenous fluids during the procedure and 'stage' the dental-usually this is done by removing only the worst affected teeth and scaling/polishing the rest. It is preferrable to do 2 short anaesthetics rather than one very long one.
Treatment with antibiotics may help in the short term but otherwise the only real option is a dental procedure. Afterwards though, there are things you can do to maintain his teeth.
Hope the results all come back ok on Friday.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
25-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #15

Mitzi had to have 3 teeth removed at 15 years old, she had an abcess. She was on hyperthyriod meds at the time, and is still is with us today. She always has a wide choice of food, wet or dry and raw. I have found although she loves the dry she has days where she does turn it over in her mouth sometimes, BUT having said that she does have a form of mouth cancer (Eosinophillic Granuloma Complex), but her teeth are fine now.

Wait until you get the bloods are back. This will help you decide the next best step forward.

Catsey Senior

26-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #16

Hi everyone and thanks so very much for all your helpful replies.

I am delighted to say that the blood results were fine So I have booked my beautiful boy in for a full dental on Wednesday, he is going to be sedated and a number of teeth extracted (he was in too much pain to see properly so we don't yet know how many need to come out) and the rest properly cleaned. They offered fluids which I have accepted, I know it's a bit more costly but I think he needs them. And hey ho, the credit card is maxxed out as it is, what's another £400 ?!!!? lol

**note to self: must get pet insurance** (I say this every time there are problems....)

Thanks all for your help once again xx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #17

I paid £222.12 for Cassie's dental two years ago - she didn't have any extractions though, just a thorough scrape and polish.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
26-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #18

I was given an estimate of £150 for Chesi's op' of a Grade 1 scrape and polish. It did however cost me similar to Mags when Mitz went in, but this was with extractions all included.

Sarah I think it's little bit naughty they're giving you the option (and fluids should NOT be an option, they're a neccessity) of extra fluids for the op, your boy will need fluids anyway to keep the blood pressure on track, I would have thought..

Catsey Senior

26-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #19

yes I agree, fluids are necessary. I think she only offered this as an option because I asked if they accept payment in monthly instalments (am having financial troubles, just like the rest of the country I guess!... not that I put a price on my beautiful kitties).

I have been quoted about £380 but may be more or slightly less depending on how many teeth need to be extracted.

It is what it is though, I stupidly don't have pet insurance (I really must do one of those compare things to find out which ones are the best).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #20

Good news re the blood test results and fingers crossed that Harvey will be fine after he's had those horrid teeth out and is no longer in pain.

I agree fluids are necessary but I was offered them as an "extra" for Merlin when he had a cyst removed. Guess that was around 3ish years ago now.