Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #11

Re: Help! Persistent cystitis - any advice?

Just read your intro and see you have two cats. Is it possible that one is bullying the other?

Sometimes keeping a diary of events can help bring things to light. Cats are masters at subtlty, bullying can be as small as a look or a posture.

If you think this might be the case then maybe you actually need a qualified behaviourist rather than a vet.

Catsey Veteran

11-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #12

Thought this site might be more beneficial, Vicky Halls is a very reputable feline behaviourist.

http://www.vickyhalls.net/feline_faqs.asp

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
11-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #13

Was just going to ask that too Elaine but you've covered it well, some cats handle stress better than others, and cystitis is a very clear symptom of a cat under stress..

Cystitis is very much a psychological induced symptom.. A tailored diet, and a stress free environment are essential to a cat's recovery, this is key.

A cat behaviorist like Vicky Halls is sometimes needed, THE best, BEST one I have come across is Vicky, she has written some brilliant books and covered what you are going through and cured urinary tract problems through understanding what a cat needs and wants. A behaviourist is not cheap, but many times she has saved a cat's life by aiding it's recovery.

Cats owned: black and white and ginger
12-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #14

Thanks to all for taking the trouble to reply to my post. I haven't had a chance to look at all the links yet but will defintely do so. I have searched for information before on this condition but to be honest its left me even more confused. The vet has previously mentioned diet and has suggested catmilk and cereal. She doesn't like the cereal (though my other non ill cat does ) but they both like the milk so I've been giving them that sometimes HOWEVER my understanding is that this is all to do with the PH balance and a diet either too alkaline or too acid will cause a problem I have looked for PH balanced food but have never found any. They don't like dry food so have canned food. I don't think cat is stressed or at least can't think of any reason why she should be. Vet seems to think its a recurrent bacterial infection. She is now on a month course of 2 differnt types of antibiotics BUT the vet is going to get a urine sample to send away to lab so that may throw up some answers and I am feeling more positive than when I initally posted. I am interested in trying a holistic approach also.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #15

IMO your vet should have had your cat's urine tested a while ago. Hopefully this may identify the cause. Fingers crossed.

Catsey Veteran

12-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #16

I am not so convinced by your vets suggestion of cat milk and cereal tbh. Do you have a water fountain at all? Sometimes they can help with water intake which will in turn help a little with the ph balance. I am also a little concerned about the amount of antibiotics your cat has had, does your vet also give a pro biotic along with the anti biotic? If not then there may be another reason for the recurring infection as the anti biotics continue to kill all the good gut flora which are not being replaced.
Vet Uk has foods for urinary issues which help with the ph balance also, they also have other meds for the cystitis.
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-and-cat-supplements-c-5

Can I ask what you currently feed them on?