Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: black and white and ginger
11-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #1

Help! Persistent cystitis - any advice?

My cat is just 1 year old now and has been ill most of her life. She had her first bout of cystits at just weeks old. Since then she has had repeated infections constantly. And I do mean constantly. The vet has prescribed stronger and stronger and longer courses of antibiotics each time but just one or two weeks after she finishes the course she becomes ill again and gets increasingly ill and miserable. It has now got to the point where Idon't think we can continue like this. My cat is constantly in pain, I am finding it harder and harder to pay vets bills (I never got insurance as she got ill before I ever had the chance). I am going to try to get her to the vets again today as 2 weeks after her last course of antibiotics her symptoms have returned. I'm getting to the point where I think it might be time to end her suffering. My daughter and I are both heartbroken at the thought of this. Surely there is another way?! Please has anyone experienced this problem, have any advice?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
11-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #2

Re: Help! Persistent cystitis - any advice?

Oh Sophie... *hugs* That is so hard. Your poor little girl.

I don't have any advice personally having not owned cats all that long, and not run across the problem as yet, but I'm sure there will be others along who will have more thoughts.

Is there not speciality food which helps with that kind of thing though?

Thoughts with you and your daughter at this hard time.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
11-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #3

HI SOPHIEC!
IVE FOUND TWO CAT SITES WHICH MIGHT HELP, BUT YOU MAY HAVE DONE ALL THE THINGS THEY ARE SAYING!
IME SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR DEAR CAT! I REALLY HOPE YOU CAN SORT IT OUT VERY QUICKLY!
http://www.holisticpethealth.co.uk/C...e_cystitis.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Cystitis-T...-Cat&id=317455

HOPE THEY HELP!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #4

So sorry to hear about your poor girl. Can I ask - has your vet managed to test her urine?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #5

I'm so sorry! Has your vet discussed diet with you? Is she on dry food primarily? If on wet, do you add a bit of warmed water to it to increase the amount of liquid she's getting? There are special foods ... once again, what has the vet told you? Preventing is more important than treating each episode; I do hope you'll get this sorted for both your sakes. Do let us know ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
11-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #6

I'm sorry to hear your little girl is so poorly, has the vet done any investigation? It seems so wrong to have her constantly on antibiotics poor thing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
11-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #7

hi there, so sorry to hear of the difficulties you are having. Have you tried adding a small amount of apple cider vinegar to her drinking water? My cat Teddie has suffered stress cystitis on and off and since I started adding this to her water she has only had one bout I know what it's like to have a cat with a chronic condition as for the first year of her life Teddie had constant diahrea (sp), and the vet wanted to put her to sleep She's now 5 and a wonderful cat, so please don't give up hope yet x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
11-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #8

Take the good advice on here, sometimes the vets are too happy to just dish out antibiotics when all they do is weaken..and she will become immune to them in time.

I agree totally with dandysmom in that prevention is the way to go with your dear girl. Good advice too ref the food. Has your vet discussed all this with you, there must be some way around it!

..anyone had expereince of this for sophiec..or can help...anyone..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #9

I am so very sorry to be reading this.

Has your vet done anything else other than give antibiotics?
Cystaid tablets? Prescription diet? Feliway? Zylkene tablets? Further investigation?

If not then I'd seriously get a second opinion from another vet.

Is there anything within your home that may be causing her constant distress? Crying babies? Alot of comings and goings? Family arguements/unrest? Litter box not cleaned regularly? Constant harrassment from young children? Anything, anything at all?

Not trying to be judgmental in any way but some cats are extremely sensitive and may not be coping well in her current environment if some or any of the above can be answered yes to.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/flutd/info.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #10

Here is some info on prevention.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6329598_pr...-cystitis.html