Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: cat
07-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #11

Re: Help Hepatitis

Just thought i'd let you know: We just had a new trip to the vets after she was writhing around in pain and struggling to poo
He's given her a corticoid shot and some anti spasmodics
He was also surprised the other vet only gave her the medecine for the hepatitis and nothing to help her eat (the big thing is getting her eating again) So he's given us special cat food designed to get them eating again... so fingers crossed!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #12

I do hope she starts eating with the special food! Fingers crossed ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #13

I'm glad the other vet was more helpful, fingers crossed that the steriods help and she begins to eat xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
07-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #14

Phew. So glad to hear that the second vet was more helpful than the first, so hope that it makes a difference.

08-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #15

Well last night we ended up syringe feeding her (fun...not)
The worst thing is, once you get it in her she seems to enjoy it, but she wouldn't eat it on her own.. anyway i think we're moving in the right direction, this morning she ate a tiny bit of food of her own accord
Currently fast asleep next to me, so fingers crossed once her medecine kicks in she'll want more to eat!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
08-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #16

It can be a rough road getting them to start eating again but keep trying, you're doing great. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #17

Good luck Nora. Many more healing vibes for Missy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #18

Good news! I hope she'll start eating on her own soon.....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
10-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #19

The steroids should make her hungry Nora.

.. and lots of gentle coaxing with all sorts of warm food and gentle and consistent praise for eating afterwards seems to encourage them to eat. And yes, sounds like Missy has a preference for being hand fed, at least for now!

I have had Mitzi go off her food for a day and I've given her warm rehydrating fluid, a couple of small syringes, then more later, (drizzled slowly a bit at a time otherwise it'll come back up at some stage!), then her appetite came back later in the day. Rehydration plays a huge part in getting a poorly cat back on track.

Fingers X'd Missy continues to improve.

14-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #20

Well since monday she's been eating by herself. Got her to eat a few mouthfuls of cat food on sunday night (not the one the vet prescriped she's giving that the evil eye probably because she's sick of us syringe feeding her it!)
Since then i've been leaving dry food and wet food down for her. Tuesday night she tried a bit of dry food but only a teeny teeny bit. She's definitely started to put a bit of weight back on, she seems a bit livlier (last night she came into the lounge and snuggled on my knees as i watched tv, up till then she's been mainly hiding out in the bedroom)
I'm not sure how much she SHOULD be eating? She seems to love licking all the gravy/jelly stuff in the cat food, and eat a bit of the meat but on the packets they say 100g of wet food and 40g of dry food per day?! I'm pretty sure she didn't eat that much before she was ill i'm not sure actually how much she's eating but i reckon around 80g! Bearing in mind she's the worlds laziest cat (think garfield) and her favorite activity is purring is this enough?
The husband tells me she seems to be getting better so to let her deal with her food, but not sure?
Gah she's causing more worry than the kids