Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Russian Blue and Tabby
06-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #1

Fluid on Lungs

Hi, some of you may remember a while ago that I posted on here regarding my Russian Blue Henry who had recently been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism.

He has been doing really really well and after a couple of weeks on medication returned to his usual self. I should mention at this point that he's 14 years old. He had even put a kilo on in weight between vets appointments!!

Anyhow, last night he very suddenly found it very difficult to breath and was breathing through his mouth. He was also unable to take in any water.

We took him to the emergency vet and they did an X-Ray which revealed that he had fluid on his lungs and she would give him some dieuretics and steriod to ease the problem.

I went to see him this morning and he seems to be back to his old self and I can take him home later. They are giving me some dieretics to give him for a week and some antibiotics to quash any infection (he did have a temperature). She did however say that his heart was fine and there was nothing wrong there.

Really sorry for the long post but what I really want to know is whether this is a one off or is it likely to be a common recurring problem? I need to seriously think about my little man's quality of life as I don't want him to be going through this every other week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ) xx

Christina

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #2

Re: Fluid on Lungs

Hi Christina - I am very sorry to hear about Henry. I do so hope that it is an infection that will clear, but I have to say that my dear old Smudge had this a long while ago - she was undiagnosed hyperthyroid and it was the beginning of the end for her. Her lungs were drained but the fluid built up again and we had to make the decision to have her pts.

On the bright side, if Henry's problem is due to infection, as his hyperthyroidism has responded to treatment, then the situation for him may not be so bleak. I do hope that this is the case and that he recovers. You have obviously acted quickly and his prognosis could be miles better. Cuddles to Henry and (((hugs))) for you.

Cats owned: Russian Blue and Tabby
07-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #3

Hi thanks for the reply. He came home last night and seems to be nearly back to normal so thats good. I just wonder how long for though?

Ive got a weeks worth of diuretics and antibiotics so I hguess we will see after that x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Oh, that sounds like really good news. Please let us know how Henry gets on. I am thinking from what you have said that his infection is clearing up and that he will have a goodly time still with you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #5

That does sound good!