Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #11

Re: Weak 'Swingy' back end.

Think the vets is the best bet!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #12

I wouldnt have thought that the vet would offer supplements until a diagnosis had been made.

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
08-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #13

Just a wee update

Went back to the vets again with Murphy as his back end has got a bit more wobbly.

She's happy with his weight, the fact that he's eating and drinking and still obviously going in and out doing his business as usual.

She said his vitals all feel OK in terms of lumps and bumps but has taken blood for tests.

She explained that if it's thyroid related then treatment is normal but if it's kidney related then as long as he's managing it will be up to us to just decide at what point we think he's had enough.

Results should be back Thursday so I'll keep you posted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #14

Fingers crossed it'll be thyroid and treatable, Phil. My girl was recently diagnosed hyperthyroid and is doing fine on her meds.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
08-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #15

I was just glad (well it was Karen that took him) that the vet didn't think we'd kept him going too long as it's sometimes hard to know when it's time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
08-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #16

You will know when its time..........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #17

Fingers crossed for Thursday. IMO if you think that Murphy still has good quality of life, then it's not time.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
11-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #18

Called the vet earlier today but they've not had the results back yet so we've to call again tomorrow.

Meanwhile - Murphy seems more wobbly today. He went upstairs and had his normal lazy day on the bed and has been outside, enjoyed his supper with Paddy and Casper and been bright on the whole apart from the wobbles.

I've noticed his claws catching on the carpets too. He's always had heavy thick claws almost like a dog's nails (big strong and blunt) but they've become very thin and sharp as he's not been able to do his stretchy thing against the trees in the garden.

I also watched him grooming tonight. The normal stuff - scratching under his chin with his back foot and also rubbing his eyes with his front paw then licking the paw clean. He'd just woken up so he was at his worst but it just resulted in him falling over.

It's hard to watch as he's still so bright eyed and 'with it' and twice today he's come through the house at a fair old rate of knots to get past the dogs so he can shift when he needs to.

I'll keep you posted but I'll see what the vet says tomorrow and take it from there.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #19

Fingers crossed for tomorrow;s news, Phil ..........

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
11-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #20

A cat I had once had similar symptoms, went to jump on the bed one morning for cuddles, kind of missed and just fell back. I initially thought it might be his legs, but only for a moment, I knew there was something else wrong so I took him to the vet that day. Sadly he had cancer and this was the beginning of the end for him, but if I hadn't have done this I might never have known how bad he was really feeling.

Keep us posted Phil, all digits crossed here for dear Murphy.