Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
06-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #1

Weak 'Swingy' back end.

Hi folks

Getting a bit concerned about my Murphy boy

He's my second oldest of 5 cats (lost both Chippy who was older and Bramble younger recently) - he's aged 16 years.

As per the title he's become (over the last couple of months) a bit low at the back end - a bit like a German Shepherd dog if that makes sense ?

Anyway - the back end......he's still mobile and happy to roam about outdoors, come inside, spend his days upstairs kipping on the bed etc (I'm happy with his easy pace) but he's starting to have a few 'epic fails' when it comes to jumping up onto the table or hopping over the garden wall etc.

There's no sign of pain but with Paddy being just a year younger and still climbing over the roof tops and Casper (just a kitten) bombing about the place - he does seem a bit left out.

The question I guess is how I keep tabs on this weak back end ? He's happy but I hate to see him a bit floppy and struggling

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
06-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #2

Re: Weak 'Swingy' back end.

I know what you mean, slightly scrunched up and lowered. Has this happened over time or is it sudden?

If it's happened over time all I can think of is that it's his joints getting frail, you can make his jumps as easy for him as possible and try to adapt any of the epic fails he seems to have trouble with most often by making platforms so that he can jump in stages. You can do this for your side of the garden wall but the neighbours side is another matter..hmm, you'll have to keep an eye on him, and if he goes 'missing' you may have to end up periodically retrieving him from your neighbours garden. Is there any jumps he could have a fail on that could be dangerous? What I mean is that he could get trapped in and not get out when he goes out?

All I can suggest is adapt his 'epic fails' and keep an eye on him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #3

I wonder if he has arthritis? I know you say there's no sign of pain, but cats can disguise it so very well. You may want to try a glucosamine supplement and see if that helps. I am sure you can get something suitable for cats. Poor Murphy, 16 is a very good age, but as my Merlin was over 23 when he went it doesn't sound all that old to me!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
06-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #4

It sounds most likely to be arthritis. There is a page on here about explaining various treatment options. Cat are well known for hiding pain, so it's not easy to tell if they are suffering or not but it's definately worth a vet visit.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #5

Is this the thread you mean farthing?

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=38083

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #6

Thanks, Angie; I'm sure that will be helpful. You can get feline glucosamine on line. I swear by it, I have taken it for ages for my arthritis and wouldn't hesitate giving it to a cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #7

I'd get him checked over by the vet.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
06-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #8

Yes, cats are masters at hiding pain.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
06-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #9

I think Elaines idea about a vet check is probably a good idea. I think Kidney problems can cause a weakness in the back legs.
Jerry is 15 years old and for the last few years he's had weak back legs, like you say they slant down at the back. He has over the years lost the ability to jump up high places, if he jumps down his bottom often touches the floor.
Jerry's two brothers were exactly the same although the sister is fine.
Our vet thinks it is likely to be a genetic condition and we manage it rather than treat, good luck with Murphy.

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
06-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #10

Sorry for the late reply - just back in.

Thanks for the replies - I have made life a bit easier for him of late so he has alternative means of getting up to higher places and we've an old pallet against the garden wall which he uses like a ladder. The other side of wall isn't a drop so he can come back fine.

He can still shift when he needs to (or can be bothered) in fact on the flat he can be quite speedy when needs must.

I'm on holiday next week so I think I'll pop in and have a word with the vet to see if there's anything supplement wise that she suggests.

Thanks again - I'll keep you posted.