Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: mainecoons birman
02-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #1

cat ill from cat show :(

Sorry if this is the wrong section, not very good with computers

I went to a cat show with my maine coons, had a lovely day, and the next morning they both started coughing, at first thought it was a hair ball, but took them to the vets, they said hairball aswell. next day eyes start streaming and they are sneezing, again to the vets, they have cat flu!

I was so shocked they are fully vac, then the vet said that alot of cats get it from going to cat shows! I am so shocked who takes a ill cat to a show?

Sadly I also have a 7weeks old litter here, they All have cat flu as the vet said its airborn or passed on by clothing, all eyes watering they cant breathe

Nothing can be done for it, all on antibiotics. they have said that I can breed the cats once they are better and tested for the flu, but im worried I dont want to breed ill cats!

I spoke to friends and one of her cats also became ill after a cat show last year. I wont go to another show now, which is sad as im just off of a champion, but im really worried, dont know what to do now, will my other adults be affected? as they are indoors/outside to, dont know what to do/where go go from here?? apprently its common in breeding houses/catteries/rescues? Ive never had a ill cat in 40years plus of having them, just the usual upset tums, but nothing like this, am so worried

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
02-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #2

Re: cat ill from cat show :(

It may not have come from the show, there is the possibility that one of yours is a carrier although you may never find the definite cause now. It is important, especially as you dont want to breed sick animals, that you have yours all tested before breeding further.
http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/info...u/catflu2.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
03-10-2011, 02:08 AM   #3

Hope your cats and kittens are okay

I was going to say that even for cat flu it came on very quickly, would have thought symptoms would have taken bit longer than that to show but i am no expert. Something that is airborne could have come from anywhere. Are all your cats vaccinated against cat flu? Very very worrying for you. Poor wee kitties. xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
03-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecat
Sorry if this is the wrong section, not very good with computers

I went to a cat show with my maine coons, had a lovely day, and the next morning they both started coughing, at first thought it was a hair ball, but took them to the vets, they said hairball aswell. next day eyes start streaming and they are sneezing, again to the vets, they have cat flu!

I was so shocked they are fully vac, then the vet said that alot of cats get it from going to cat shows! I am so shocked who takes a ill cat to a show?

Sadly I also have a 7weeks old litter here, they All have cat flu as the vet said its airborn or passed on by clothing, all eyes watering they cant breathe

Nothing can be done for it, all on antibiotics. they have said that I can breed the cats once they are better and tested for the flu, but im worried I dont want to breed ill cats!

I spoke to friends and one of her cats also became ill after a cat show last year. I wont go to another show now, which is sad as im just off of a champion, but im really worried, dont know what to do now, will my other adults be affected? as they are indoors/outside to, dont know what to do/where go go from here?? apprently its common in breeding houses/catteries/rescues? Ive never had a ill cat in 40years plus of having them, just the usual upset tums, but nothing like this, am so worried
Sorry, did you say you went to a Cat show while you had 7wk old kittens at home?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Sorry, did you say you went to a Cat show while you had 7wk old kittens at home?

Is that a big NO NO then Dawn? Sorry, am no expert on breeding/showing.

03-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies, I bred all of the cats here, all fully vac never been ill, so cant have had it, I know it came on very quick, I have now read up all about it, and I said that Id test the house before anymore kittens planned as dont want to go through this!!

Yes I did show when I had kittens, didnt know that this was a problem and everyone i spoke to there also had litters, some had 5 plus litters!! but Im not a big breeder, most of mine are now neutered pets as I cant keep them all, hence only 2 itter if that now per year (different cats)

I am so upset, been speaking to vets rescues, other breeders, that link you gave me said that 40% of cats were sheeding cat flu at shows! That is shocking, I have never had problems in 8 years of breeding, maybe a stillborn or a upset tum, we have moved house twice so lots of stress and nothing has come out.

am so gutted and upset, I cant beleive it, I was keeping a boy, but cant do that now the vet said that I could, and he will get over it and just to test him, but Im not happy with that. I know that alot of breeders have had this or breen through this, maybe they dont want to talk about it, but I wish they would would put my mind at rest to hear someone who has been throguh it and come out of the otherside!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #7

I'm really sorry to know you're so distressed; I'm not a breeder so haven't anything helpful to say....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #8

Why can't you keep a kitten?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #9

I am really sorry to hear your distress. I don't show and actually have never been to a cat show so don't have any knowledge to pass on but I did want to send healing vibes to all your cats and kittens and sincerely hope that they all recover well.

04-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #10

thanks for the replies, am just really stressed, trying to make them feel better.

The vet said that I could keep a kitten for breeding, but I obviously dont want to keep a kitten that could be a carrier of cat flu, he said that as they are kittens and will probably shed it? And be ok after, and to test them at 13weeks old, then leave it and do it again 2 weeks later.

maybe I could do that? to be honest I am just going out of my mind I cant think straight Im being told things and its going in one ear out the other as Im just so worried