Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
15-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #1

Dental work + other op = safe?

I'm a bit confused. Chesi is due another op on his aural haematoma because the 1st one wasn't successful. I have had 2 opinions on which would be the most successful way of doing this op once and for all and I have also asked if he could have a teeth scrape while he is under the GA, he's around 15 so would this need doing sooner or later.

However, I wasn't prepared for differing opions from each vet. One would not advise carrying out a 'sterile with a non-sterile' in one hit as it carries it's risks. Any dental work would release bacteria into the body. (Surely the antibiotics he is having anyway would counteract this to a certain extent?) This vet didn't advise it but suggested that certainly any tartar could be picked off if I liked but that was all that should be done. The other vet said it was a good suggestion and that any teeth could be taken out at the same time if needed at which point I said 'whoah, I'm not sure his teeth are that bad'! Last time they were looked at they were fine. She offered a visual dental inspection tomorrow so I will be interested to see what the nurse has to say then.

Has anyone else had any dental work done at the same time as any other op? And did you feel it was a good idea at the time but regretted it later? I'm confused, I thought it was quite common until I got differing professional opinions.

Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
15-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #2

Re: Dental work + other op = safe?

When I caught my dog Rudy's tail in the door and part of it had to be amputated, he also had a dental done. At no time was it ever suggested that this was not a good idea. He was absolutely fine though. Sorry, no experience of similar with cats. A difficult dilemma, on one hand it seems sensible to clean his teeth while he has to have an anaesthetic anyway, but I do understand your concerns.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #3

I have heard about dental work and other op not being advised at the same time. We need Pinklizzie's input here I think.

I can understand that with Rudy's op however it could be done because the areas were at opposite ends! However with Chesi's ear and teeth being close together ..... I think that it's the fine "sanding" (for want of a better word) that they do to the teeth, same as a human descale and polish, that could cause the problem as the particles could be microscopic and add additional chances of infection to the wound site. That's my understanding and I must stress that I am no expert!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #4

But that makes a lot of sense to this non-expert too. Yes, PL's input would be very valuable.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
16-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #5

Yes, that makes perfect sense, Angie!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
16-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #6

Yes, thanks, a scale and polish would involve fine mist and debris flying around but the nurse said that the ear would be attended to 1st then covered up so he would be fine. I hope the teeth are not sanded too much as this would only make a key for future tartar! She said the risk is there of cross infection but it's small and the anitbiotics would help with that anyway. The good news is that Chesi has just 2 small lumps of tartar, one on each side near the back, apart from that his teeth are good for a 15 y.old

Chesi would be under GA in total for an hour..I expressed my concern at this but the nurse said that he will have plenty of fluids and be kept warm and monitored throughout, even have his own little 'cat recovery' room which is separate from the dogs and with Feliway plug in. Everyone I have spoken to has said that this vet is very good, as well as my friend who recommended him to me, so that's something.

I will wait a little longer to see if I get any other answers from other posters before I book him in, just to be on the safe side but parents arrive end of next week and I'd really like him over the worst of it before then.

Thanks for the replies so far..

Catsey Veteran

16-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #7

Sounds as if you've found a good vet - I hope so.

Those lumps of tartar should be easily removed too, so good news really, apart from the hour under anaesthesia, but continual fluids are a really good safeguard.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
16-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #8

Hello!
I've only just seen this. I think it's definetely an area which tends to be very subjective and opinions vary. As a general rule, it is always better not to do a 'dirty' procedure like a dental with a 'clean' surgical operation. As you've said, descaling teeth will cause a fine mist of bacteria and debris, hence why we always wear masks, and it can cause problems with an incised wound.
I think though, in this instance, it might be preferable to get everything 'out of the way' at once. As you say, they will be able to cover the aural wound during the procedure (usually with a sterile adhesive dressing that can be removed afterwards) and I wouldn't worry about it as much as say an incision into the abdominal cavity etc. Prophylactic antibiotics will help too.
His teeth should be polished after scaling to prevent any grooves or ridges being left behind to which tartar can adhere in the future.
An hour GA sounds like a reasonable length of time and the IV fluids will be a great benefit, one of the big causes of any renal/hepatic damage to an older animal is the drop in blood pressure under anaesthesia. A maintenance rate of fluids will help to prevent that as well as keeping him warm. Due to the messy nature of dentals and the amount of water involved, they tend to be done on a metal grill over a tub or bath but laying on metal can mean animals get cold quickly-I tend to use a layer of bubblewrap with a towel over it, then a heat pad with vet bed to lay the cat onto and another towel over the top so they're toasty warm!
Not sure if I've helped, if I can do anymore, just let me know!

Catsey Veteran

16-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #9

Thanks Liz! Good to see your post - I hope it has reassured Truth.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #10

:Thanks, that's so informative and so helpful!