Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
21-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #11

Re: Sloppy Stinky Poo

Let us know if there is any improvement once you have stopped the dry food, then we can go on from there!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
21-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #12

I always recommend a high quality food such as Royal Canin but if you are going to change foods please do it very gradually over a week. A quick change of foods can in itself upset a cats stomach. Gently wean him onto wet food only and keep him on that fro approxiamately 3-4 weeks to see how he is then if you wish slowly introduce a high quality dry food. That way you will see if wet or dry food doesn't agree with him. Take your time and you will get to the bottom of it but don't keep switching his foods quickly.
Another thought is that he could be cutting his finally teeth and this can sometimes upset their systems with things like tummy upsets, feading eye colour and of course sore mouths. Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

22-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #13

I hear he is improving now you have stopped the Whiskas dry food. Glad things are better.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: semi longhaired
23-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #14

Yes he did seem better when i stopped the dry whiskas. I got some pouches of natures menu kitten food.. i think its a local thing but its 70% meat. He seemed to like it the first few days but then ate less of it so i got a higher meat content dry food too.. think its 27% and he seems to prefer that to the wet food now
His poo did seem better but tonight one was a bit smellier and wetter than the others we've had. Im wondering if thats because he's only eaten dry food today.. his choice!

Never thought about changing his food gradually so i may have caused the stinky poo tonight but changing his diet so much over the last week.. ooops
Should i cut out the dry food again and start again then?

Catsey Veteran

23-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #15

I would stop the dry food again and then very slowly introduce it back.... same rules for cats and rabbits - gradual change over!

One of my cats is a bit sensitive to some brands of dry food so thats why I thought you should start there!

Catsey Veteran

23-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #16

It doesn't really matter whether you start with the dry or wet food and if he seems to prefer the dry start him on that, rather than change his diet again, for a few weeks and see what happens.
A s I said he could be teething and that can cause runny poos much like babies so please bear that in mind as this may not be a food problem but just a bit of teething.

Catsey Junior

24-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #17

ah ok thank you. He is eating the natures menu food again.. although not a huge amount, so will see how he does now. I was looking at some of the other kitten foods this morning.. the one i have is 70% meat but most of the others like hills or hi-life were only 28% so for now im gonna stick to this one. I think he's not too keen cos its like meat pate rather than lumps of meat maybe

Catsey Junior

24-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #18

He just did a really smelly wet poop.. and as he hadnt really eaten any of his food this morning ive mixed half of it with half a pouch of the wet whiskas food he was having up til the weekend... i'll do that for a few days until i find something he will eat properly.
Thanks for the info about teeth... hadnt thought of that. My rabbits are due for their jabs soon so maybe i'll take him along too and get him checked out.. re-wormed etc if he's still making a stink

Catsey Veteran

24-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #19

Hope everything sorts itself out.

Catsey Junior

02-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #20

Well he seemed to be doing ok recently.. hadnt had anymore sloppy poos since we stopped the whiskas dry food. I swapped him onto natures menu sachets and Hills sachets (mixing them) and gradually introduced hills dry food aswell which he seems to love. All has been fine until this morning when we got up to a smelly sloppy poo in his tray and another on the carpet which he's never done.. i can only assume it was attached to him maybe when he hopped out?? He seems happy otherwise, am about to attach him with a worming tablet i got from the vets.
The only thing i have noticed is when i just let him in from being outside his ears were very hot, they usually feel cold when he first comes in.. is that normal if he's been running??