Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: semi longhaired
18-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #1

Sloppy Stinky Poo

my kitten is 6.5months old now.. he was neutered about 3weeks ago and recovered really quickly with no complications. I reckon the last 2 weeks we have had slight problems though. He hasnt had actual diarrhoea but at least once a day when he poos in his tray part or all of his poo is really wet, due to his long hair this means he end up sitting it everywhere! I cant understand what could have caused it.. he's had felix or whiskas kitten pouches since we got him about 3months ago, currently has 2-3 pouches a day.. and sometimes eats whiskas crunchies for kittens although not a huge amount of them. He drinks water but not excessively. He has been wormed and de-flead a few times, last wormer was given about a month ago.
Anyone any ideas what could be causing the sloppy poos?? He goes outside for short periods and i have seen his chewing grass but dont know if he eats any of it. We dont give him our food so cant think what is upsetting his tummy but his poop stinks!!
just to add other than his poo he is his usual lively, playful, and cuddly self.

Some friends have suggested changing his food to a higher quality one but id like to know what you all think on here

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #2

Re: Sloppy Stinky Poo

Both of my persians had similar problems until I switched them both to a totally dry food diet. Since then, apart from the odd episode, all has been fine.

Try trimming the bottom fur (carefully) as this will stop the distribution of poo and the associated stress of wiping/washing it - again this is something I did and the chocolate kisses all but disappeared!

Finally, it could be that your cat just has a sensitive tummy or a food allergy. I would suggest firstly switching to a premium wet food; introducing some dry. And then if that doesn't help then move onto dry only and then sensitive dry.

We have had some cats with quite serious eating disorders/allergies here so I'm sure their owners will be along in a while to offer sounder advice than I'm able to.

Oh, and the eating of the grass, that's normal. Cats use that as a digestive aid.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
18-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #3

Try him on a bland diet/ premium diet and if it doesn't clear try taking him to the vet. My Tilly has a sensitviev tummy nd gets special food but I am sure your kitty is going to be fine.
best of luck
Sally

Catsey Junior

18-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #4

would they develop allergies? Its just he's been having the same foods since i had him 3 months ago and the sloppy poos have only been in more recent weeks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
18-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #5

If he was fine on Whiskas and Felix before, he should be ok on it now... thats my thoughts.

He seems to eat more than my two three year old cats. They have one and a half pouches each a day plus a handful of dry food.

Try the more blander flavours of the pouches rather than the rich gravy ones. The jelly ones might be better?

Or if you want to give his tummy a complete break you could give him plain chicken or white fish like cod for a week and see if he improves and then slowly wean him back onto kitten food.

Is he on kitten food or adult food?

Catsey Junior

18-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #6

He's on kitten food. I think he is eating less.. probably about 2 pouches a day but only a small amount of dry food aswell. I give him a handful of dry food but its rarely all gone by the end of the day.
Im going to get some burns dry and some natures menu pouches and see if that improves things... been doing some research online today

Catsey Veteran

18-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #7

Has he always had the dry food? Or is this a more recent addition? Could they be a bit strong for him - dry food causes Misty a few problems with either being sick or sometimes a bit sloppy!

Catsey Junior

18-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #8

Ive always offered him dry food and he has had the whiskas ones in the past but until fairly recently he hasnt really been eating them that much.. finally decided he likes these ones though so i guess it could be the problem but now he eats those he eats a bit less wet food

Catsey Veteran

18-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #9

I would try cutting out that particular brand of dry food just to rule it out.

Catsey Junior

19-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #10

Ive stopped giving him the dry food.. got held up at work today so didnt make it to the petshop so going tomorrow and also gonna go to the vets to get more worming tablets to try that again aswell. He managed to get a bit of the wet poop on the side of his tray this evening and it looks quite sort of mucousy aswell as sloppy.. he seems to do half normal poop then sloppy at the end.