Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
09-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #1

FIV positive.

The mom of the 4 kittens that came in last night went in today to be spayed & blood tested. She is FIV positive.
We've had her spayed & she is here with me for now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
09-11-2006, 11:40 PM   #2

Re: FIV positive.

Oh poor little kitty. Does that mean all her kittens will be the same?

(Sorry if thats a silly question)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
09-11-2006, 11:40 PM   #3

awww poor little girl. do you know if the kitten are positive as well??? I am sure you will be able to get somebody who would like a indoor only cat as a wonder pet??

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #4

Poor girl.....I hope someone out there will be able to give her a loving home....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
09-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #5

It's not a silly question at all Donna.

Luckily it's actually quite rare for the virus to pass to the kittens, but it is possible, therefore the poor little puddings will have to stay here longer than normal so they can be blood tested prior to being rehomed.

Mom actually had a litter a few months back - we took them & homed them, but couldn't catch Mom, who then went & got pregnant again. The lady who was feeding her spotted the new litter of kittens & said she'd look after them until we could take them in, so I caught them at 4 weeks old & set her up with a kitten pen. Mom is now friendly & was going to go back there to live with the lady after she was spayed. Obviously this has thrown a spanner in & we are not sure if she will go back as the lady does have another cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
09-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #6

Smudgley am I correct in thinking that FIV really is only passed through mating and fighting or am I wrong??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #7

Thats exactly right Emma. There is unfortunately a big stigma attached to FIV cats which is really sad. I know of quite a few people with FIV cats and they are just fine. As far as I am aware, owner would just need to be that little bit more assertive and attentive to any medical conditions that may arise. Its not an imediate death sentence.
Was it an in-house test Smudgley?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mainly ferals
09-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #8

If the cat is nice natured and there's no problem with the resident cat, it shouldn't be a problem returning her. FIV is spread usually by fighting or mating, she has now been spayed so this won't be an issue.

I really hope she has a good outcome, too many of these kitties are pts through no fault of their own

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-11-2006, 12:06 AM   #9

Now I didn't know that - I thought stupid I know - that it was passed in the air so to speak like sneezing - so two cats could live quite happily together indoor or restricted access.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mainly ferals
10-11-2006, 12:14 AM   #10

Kazz, there's no reason why they shouldn't. The risks of transmission is minimal if the cats get on and they are spayed and neutered......I have a really good FIV article if anyone is interested in reading it. These guys get such bad press and I think it's up to rescues to inform the public that it's not always a death sentance.......without educating people, what chance do they have and if rescues are negative about them, what is that telling everyone?? The only downside is healthwise, because the immune system is compromised, if they are poorly they need to be treated by a vet asap as they find it harder to fight off infection but other than that, they can outlive a healthy cat who isn't carrying the disease.