Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: exotic
26-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #1

queen in season question

I am susan and i am 46 yrs old i live in northumberland
I am new to here,I have just persuaded a neighbour to let me have her exotic cat that she will not allow in the house and she has been having to sleep in my garden shed for shelter.
Now i took her in on the 20th dec and she is obviously in season as she is calling and crawling around on her stomach with her back end in the air.
Having never had an unspayed queen I was wondering how long does a season normaly lasts and how soon after can they be spayed?Also the fact she is still in season is this a good sign that she hasnt been mated before i took her in?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
26-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #2

Re: queen in season question

Hi Susan and welcome to Catsey.

I am glad that you have managed to take in this cat. Cat's calling differs from cat to cat. I have some that call for a week and others that call for at least a fortnight so there is no way of knowing how long she will be like this. The same applies to your other question. One of my girls stops calling near enough immediately that she has been mated but the others carry on till the end of their call. She may very well be pregnant. She can still be spayed while pregnant but that is a decision you should make with your vets advice. You can have her spayed as soon as she has finished her call. I would book an appointment with your vet asap.
Good luck.

26-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #3

Many Thanks Kay
I have plans to get an appointment tomorrow at the vets when they reopen as I doubt she will have had any inoculations.
I am hopeing she isnt pregnant as all of this could have been avoided.
She can only be about 7-8 months old and when the owner first put her outside to live I asked if i could have her and she said no she wanted her but couldnt keep her in the house as she wasnt litter trained.
this has been found out to be a lie as she has used the litter tray with no problems since she came here

Catsey Veteran

26-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #4

That is awful. As a breeder of Persians I would be horrified to learn that this had happened to one of my babies. All responsible breeders that I know of sell their kittens with a contract that states the kitten should be kept indoors only and all are litter trained and fully vaccinated, as per GCCF rules.

I hope everything works out for you and your new kitten. If you want any advice about her just pm me, as exotics are short haired Persians, and I will try and help. Please post some pics of her as soon as you can.

26-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #5

Thanks,I will take some pictures of her as I would like to know what her colour is.I am thinking she is some kind of silver as she as she is a sort of off white with silver tabby stripes but she does have some cream markings mixed in.
I did know they are a short haired version of the persian as my parents have a Black Persian

Catsey Veteran

26-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #6

She sounds gorgeous. I presume her name is Penny!

I too have a Black Persian along with a red, a tortoiseshell, a red and white bi-colour, a blue-cream, a cream-point, a seal-point and 4 sealtortie-points.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
26-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #7

Well done for taking her in, she is a lucky Cat. She can be spayed when she has finished calling, given the fact the local Tom may have diseases that can kill him, her and the kittens its the best choice IMO. Do you know if she has been inoculated?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
26-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #8

she sounds wonderful, can't believe someone keeping a cat like an exotic outside!!!! I have a cream exotic, they are super little cats! Looking forward to some pics, and welcome to Catsey.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #9

Welcome to Catsey! Thank goodness you were finally able to get that little girl indoors and safe! I too cannot imagine anyone letting an exotic spend its life outdoors! Hope she stops calling soon and that she's not pregnant! Do post some pics when you can, she sounds lovely!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-12-2007, 12:47 AM   #10

Hi Susan, a warm welcome to Catsey..

How anyone could treat an exotic like that is beyond me, well done to you for taking care of this girl. You have been given very good advice from the members above which I hope has helped you ........ and I too hope she isn't pregnant.

If you have any difficulty posting your pics on here, this link will help you.......

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195