Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
09-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #31

Re: Foster cat update

That would drive me up the wall Smudgley! I cant believe someone would come and take the cats without giving anything!! Some folk just beggar belief. I definitely think you should press hard for a minimum donation of some sort, and £30 isn't an unreasonable amount at all considering it would cost more than that for the vaccs alone.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #32

I would say £30 was a reasonable and acceptable amount.

Cats owned: 1 tabby and 1 ginger/white moggy
14-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #33

I know I'm a bit late on this but just thought I'd make my comments too

We got one of our cats from Battersea Dogs Home and they charged £40. When we were looking at a local rescue place they charged £60. Neither of them were donations, just flat charges. Given that it cost me £60 to get our kitten spayed and micro-chipped (let alone the vaccination costs) I don't think there's anything wrong in having a fee.

With regard to the home visit, we had one from the local rescue place. The man who came round said we could have an older cat but not a young one as we live on a busy road. It's not actually a main road, just the old road that used to get used and it's not that busy - but cars do speed down there. He also said that we would only be allowed to have a cat if we promised to never go out of the front door, we had to go out of the back door and round the side - so that the cats wouldn't be interested in the front door. I couldn't really understand this as surely any cat would just then follow us round the side! Besides, they're so inquisitive they're always going to investigate the local area - and whilst they don't like the noise of the road they are tempted by the field on the other side.

I understand that they have the best interests of the cat at heart but he didn't have any issues with the house, how we looked after our existing cats etc - in the end you can't tell a cat what to do but at least any cat we have will have a wonderful, loving home to live in for the time that they are with us. Also it's a bit annoying as I know of plenty of cats that have been run over on 20mph roads in quiet housing estates - if it's going to happen, then it's going to happen is the unfortunate fact.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
14-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #34

Fully agree with you Sarah!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #35

Its the old adage, they want something for nothing!!!and there are a lot of people who think they are being good taking on a rescue, and do not feel they have to donate anything to the rescue....If they can afford a cat, can afford a donation too...