Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

05-01-2006, 02:39 AM   #1

Want to let everyone know.......

Wanted to let everyone know some of what has been going on here. But this is a LONG post so be prepared... LOL Actually it is a copy of an email that I sent to Deb.... aka The Piddler last night. Hope nobody minds me not typing it over.

__________________________________________________ ______________
... Thursday Night ...

Ok I told you that I thought Kiki and Wayne & I had an allergy on Sunday... New Years Day. Well it has turn out to be not just a problem of allergy.

The short explaination is that we have been noticing a progresive chlorine smell in the well water since about the middled of December. Didnt think much of it then due to the fact we figured that Audrey (land lord) had just put a bit too much in there. And it was complained about but she insisted she put the right amount. Well it got REALLY bad and she the dept of health/water folks out here to see about it on Friday. But all she told us about it was that the well folks were here and they were gonna drain the well so for us not to try using the water/hot water.. as it will ruin the tank to run it dry while the electricity is still going to it. Common request from her everytime the well is worked or or the septic system. We did not think much about it. Most folks were gone at the time due to holiday visiting except for us/audrey/susan/amy. With us here almost full time.

Well Kiki and I both starting getting really sick. And by Saturday morning my voice was almost gone and Kiki had totally lost her meow. So of course being a holiday there were not doctors to see. We said maybe the chlorine smell was the problem so kept the windows open. That did help but not a whole lot. On Monday moring the vet was open but not my doctor. So off to the vet with Kiki by 9am. Her little throat and voice box was totally red and raw and the doctor said he didnt think it was a viral infection. I had brought a jar of the stinky water with me and he smelled it and said that was probably the problem as chlorine is corrosive. He gave her an antibiotic to prevent any infection starting up. So I bring kiki home, open windows and then run to the corner store for bottled water. I gave her the "new" wate and some cold kitty milk right away. She lapped up the cold milk as I guess it made her throat feel good.
So then I changed all the kitty water!

When done with that I pour out my already made tea and made fresh with bottled water. Also got rid of any leftover that were cook in that water. I drink tea with lots of crushed ice in the 24/7 so I was getting lots of chlorine due to the ice from the ice maker which I dumped out and turned off. I am now using bag ice from the store. That night when Amy/Susan came in from work I told them what the vet said about Kiki. They have cats also. Well Amy tells me every morning when she showers she gets out of the tub itchy and burning a bit. Also she tells me she started using bottled water before Xmas as the reg water was making her coffee lousy. She dont drink much reg water straight up. Well honey when I told Susan she almost had a COW. She has been having Horrid throat problem since before Xmas. In fact I remember her as barely being able to talk on the 21st at the neighborhood Xmas party. She has been seeing an ENT doc for weeks now and they have not been able to get it cleared up. Was fixing to do a biospy (sp) on it. Almost $700.00 in doc bills.

So off to Walmart she goes for bottled water, ice and she got some pool testing strips. We tested water from all out faucets and etc and the chlorine in it was what would be in a swiming pool. Ok so then Susan gets the jug of water that self-fills the cat bowl and tests it. WOW... It had been there since the people came to see about the well. On the pool testing strip it was darker then the MAX rating for pool water. She saved that water!!! Now of course the are pool testing strips and dont tell what the saft drinking water is supposed to be but I would guess it is less then what is in a pool.

Ok this morning I was at the doc by 8am. Told him I had a sore throat, you could hear how hoarse I was, and that I did NOT think it was sinus due to the fact that I have not had sinus pressure or headache which I always have with sinus infections. He look and said my whole throat was red at the back all the way down as far as he could see. Also my tounge has been numb on the end like I had burned it with hot coffee. I hadnt noticed but he told me there was about an 1/8 inch strip of raw tounge down the middle and starting just past the numb area. I look also in his mirrow and it looks weird, not whitish or bumpy like the rest of the tounge. But he did tell me that it should not cause any permenant damage and Susan's doc said the same. He also told me not to brush teeth with anything but bottled water and to use dental floss... no tooth paste. Oh yeah I seem to have gotten over sensitive to the bleach smell also as I seem to smell it worst then others. Everytime I open a facuet it bothers me even though the chlorine content is way down now. And my taster is shot to hell..everything tastes like crap. (also had to go outside and drain all my water lines and empty toliet tanks, and hot water heater)

Have been feed the kitties lots of soft moist food to help get it out of their systems. But the cats that stay mostly in the front of the house seem ok. Its the back part where the water intake is that is the worse.. our bath, bedroom and kitchen. That is evidently why it got me and Kiki worst... Wayne some but he is not home all the time. I have made jello for myself and bought some icecream which helps my throat. Will just take time to clear up... Cost me $126 in doc/vet bills!!! Not counting the bought water/ice and so forth.

When Susan came in from work she went up to talk to Audrey about this... it was 7pm... all lights on in the house. She beat on the outside trailer wall and the door. No ans..... she tried the phone... no ans. So I take it Audrey does not want to talk to us about this. She knows about Kiki already and knew I was going to the doc this morning. I asked her yesterday what they had down to the well and she told me that the thing that regulates how much chlorine actually goes into the well had to be replaced. And she told me the well had been emptied and things should be fine. I told her that it still stunk like hell at my house so she suggested that I go drain my water lines which I did from the outside facuets. But she never to my knowledge told another person in here to drain their lines or exactly about what the well problem was. If not for me telling Susan/Amy they would not know as they have not heard from her. Oh and she never once said she was sorry about this but insisted it was not her fault the well broke. Which is true.. **** happens. But why did it take her soooo damn long to see about it and why didnt she warn all the tenents? Normally when you are not home she puts notices on the doors. Even her son told me that he had been telling her that the chlorine was too strong.... sigh.

Ok that is it.... except that my heater also went out this morning... another $85. My back that I hurt the middle of December is really bad lately but I go to the chriopractor tomorrow.
__________________________________________________ ______________

(added just now) Chriopractor said today it is just a pulled & swollen muscle that is making the spine slightly out of allinment. A few sessions with him should cure it. But he did tell me that I have quite a bit of arthuriatis (sp) in my neck... sigh... no wonder it hurts. Kiki and I continue to improve from the chlorine problem but it will take a long time to recover totally.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #2

Re: Want to let everyone know.......

That sounds just awful...............make sure you stay on pure water until the matter is resolved. Shouldn't your local authority/health authority be involved in this? Don't know the complexities of US water legislation but isn't there a 'code' or something?

Be good to yourself.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
05-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #3

Goodness Barb . . . you really have been in the wars!! That sounds like a horrible experience. I have huge suspicions about chemicals and the like and about water supplies coz we just don't know what's in them.

If your landlady won't answer he door/phone I think you and your colleagues really should put your grievance in writing; surely she has some kidn of indemnity insurance against potential claims of this sort?

Anyway - if you're on the mend now we hope to see you around a little more

Catsey Junior

05-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #4

Wow, that is unbelievable. Hope you get it all sorted soon. Hugs

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
05-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #5

That sounds really bad and there must be something you can do to report this lady?? She must of known of the problem. And you were being POISONED!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #6

Hi Barb..you sound like you have been through an awful time just lately I hope things are starting to improve and that you get to the bottom of the water problem. Stick with the bottled stuff for now for drinks, ice and the kitties. Hope things will get back to normal soon for you x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
05-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #7

That's terrible

Glad to hear you're on the mend but it must be so frustrating for you

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #8

What an awful experience Barb Make sure you stick with the bottled water until you know everything is safe......hope you will be back to normal very soon.
Take care.....

Catsey Junior

05-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #9

Yes we will stay on bottled water and bagged ice for awhile yet just to be safe.

Neighbor Susan is trying to find out now exactly who was out here to fix the well and exactly what the chlorine rating was at that point. Then we plan to present all of this to the board of health. We know she didnt really mean to harm us but she did and yes I do believe she has insurance against stuff like that. And I doubt she will ever make those mistakes again. But I still believe she should at least pay our medical bills. Believe me we are going to follow it
through even if it takes awhile!!!!

Kiki is doing my better now and takes her antibiotic pills like a good girl. She can meow somewhat now and her hisser is working also...grin. I am still giving her soft food mostly much to her delight.

My taster is shot but the throat is improving slowly. Think that I finally got all the excess chlorine out of the water pipes here and will actually be able to take a good hot bath later on!!!!

Thanks to all for the well wishes.....

Hugs, Barb

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
05-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #10

i hoe your all keeping track on how much this has cost you all,as im sure you can make a claim on her ins.also for the illnesses to humans and animals alike.