Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
05-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #1

Hair dye advice(again)

OK, brown hair dyed reddy / blonde a few months ago, with black underneath. Now want it to be blonde with black underneath

Q- Is it ok to put a blonde dye over an old faded red dye? I'm a bit worried as one of my friends had a recent hair disaster (& that was at a hairdressers) where she was having all over blonde on top & brown underneath. But the brown dye ran out of the foils onto the blonde & she went pink, seriuosly she was mortified! Although it lookedquite cool as she's really pretty & only had a few pinky streaks - she looked good.

I however am not brave enough to risk going pink or any other unwanted colour.

The dye I've got says you can dye over previously coloured hair, but not if it's been coloured with henna

HELP? Safe to give it a go or not?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #2

Re: Hair dye advice(again)

I wouldn't be brave enough to do it myself, I would get advice from my hairdresser...

I hope someone can advise you Smudgley..

Catsey Veteran

05-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I wouldn't be brave enough to do it myself, I would get advice from my hairdresser...

I hope someone can advise you Smudgley..
Yep but I won't be seeing her for another 4 weeks. She knows I'm always tinkering about with colours on my hair.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
05-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #4

I am no use, I am a coward I only put on temp wash in wash out ones, sure someone will be able to help you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
05-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #5

I'd ask an expert, don't risk it, can't you phone your hairdresser if you're not seeing her for a while yet?

The only time I ever did my own colouring was when I was a student. My hair had got rather bleached as I'd been in southern Spain for quite a while so I tried to even up the colour, ended up with "tomato-soup red" and bought a wig to cover it up!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
05-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #6

You'd probably need a pre-lightner on it before you use a normal dye, you could try but you might not notice much difference, depends how much lighter your new colour is. Is the colour you have on now permanent?

Catsey Veteran

06-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
You'd probably need a pre-lightner on it before you use a normal dye, you could try but you might not notice much difference, depends how much lighter your new colour is. Is the colour you have on now permanent?
Yes it's permanent. Its been on since jan

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
06-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Yes it's permanent. Its been on since jan
If it's quite dark then you might not notice much of a change in which case you'd need a pre-lightener first as it's permanent. The reason your friends may have went pink is if she was having the blonde and brown put on at once and they were both wet at the same time, they will have mixed together and had a reaction with each other. Look on the box to see which colours it covers, there's usually a pictures of say a dark brown hair, and next to it what the result will be, then a lighter one, and what the result will be e.t.c. This will give you an idea of the shade you will achieve. If your hair is quite faded or light then it should cover fine. It won't go green or anything!

Go on, go for it.

Catsey Veteran

06-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
If it's quite dark then you might not notice much of a change no it's naturally darkish, but currently red with afew blonde streaks in which case you'd need a pre-lightener first as it's permanent. The reason your friends may have went pink is if she was having the blonde and brown put on at once and they were both wet at the same time, they will have mixed together and had a reaction with each other. Yes, that's exactly what happened, whilst they were "cooking" in the foils the one dye seeped out onto the otherLook on the box to see which colours it covers, there's usually a pictures of say a dark brown hair, and next to it what the result will be, then a lighter one, and what the result will be e.t.c. This will give you an idea of the shade you will achieve. If your hair is quite faded the dye/colour is faded now or light then it should cover fine. It won't go green or anything!
Go on, go for it.
Thanks for the advice.

I'm still unsure.

Might riak it and be brave at the weekend

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #10

Personally, I'd give the red colour a good wash with head and shoulders, as its known to strip colour from hair, and then go for it. But thats me, I am a walking disaster and take too many risks and short cuts