Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Clothes sizes

Listening to a discussion on the radio about standardising sizes - male and female. It is quite interesting. Fashion people are pointing out that changing - as the proposals are for Spain - to 'this garment measures xxcm round the bust, xx round the waist etc etc ' - might not actually help, as the cut and style of the garment, and the height etc of the wearer both impact on fit.

But wouldn't it be nice if all manufacturers/retailers actually standardised between themselves, so that if you were a size whatever in one shop you would be that same size in all shops?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
19-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #2

Re: Clothes sizes

Yes, it would make life a lot easier if sizes were standardized.

I think it does have a lot to do with where the retail outlet originates from. Spanish stores such as Mango and Zara seem to have smaller dress sizes and I guess that's possibly because Spanish/Southern European women are generally smaller in their physique than northern European ones.
The standarization goes for shoes as well. I go from a 4 1/2 in some shops, to a 6 in others!

I'd also heard that they were making clothes bigger whilst retaining lower sizes, so all the women who are an easy size 16 feel better coz they can get into a size 14!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Yes, it would make life a lot easier if sizes were standardized.

I think it does have a lot to do with where the retail outlet originates from. Spanish stores such as Mango and Zara seem to have smaller dress sizes and I guess that's possibly because Spanish/Southern European women are generally smaller in their physique than northern European ones.
The standarization goes for shoes as well. I go from a 4 1/2 in some shops, to a 6 in others!

I'd also heard that they were making clothes
bigger whilst retaining lower sizes, so all the women who are an easy size 16 feel better coz they can get into a size 14!!
I've heard that said about manufacturers here in the States also! And I think it's probably true, as I haven't really lost any weight since I retired but now can wear one size smaller!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
19-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #4

Don't you also think the quality of the goods makes a difference...??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
19-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #5

Not sure Moli. You go to some real upmarket places (Gucci, Prada v US brands like Hilfiger and Karan) as I used to do when I had money and a figure, and there seems to be no standard either.