Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
25-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #1

Worming cats

Just because I asked about worming piggies on another forum and now I'm interested

Do you need to worm cats regularly? How often? What should be used?

Just curious - don't think either of them have worms but maybe they should be wormed just in case?? I don't know lol that's why i'm asking

Jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #2

Re: Worming cats

Yes, cats should be wormed regularly.
Mine are wormed and frontlined every 3 months.

Catsey Senior

25-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #3

What should we get to worm them?? Could worming them regularly mean they come immune to it?

Catsey Veteran

25-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #4

I use Milbemax from the vets.
You know i hadnt thought about them becoming imune to them, will look into that.

Catsey Senior

25-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #5

Was just wondering because when I asked on a piggy forum (about worming piggies of course) someone told me they don't treat for mites and worms regularly if their piggies have no signs of them just incase they end up becoming immune to them but no idea whether this happens with kitties?

Is there anything we can order online or is it just something from the vet?? Nothing wrong with it just being from the vet of course but would they give it us even though they dont have wormies?

edit: I'm sure I've heard of people using 'panacur' or something too - is that effective & okay?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #6

Indoor only cats don't need worming. I use a liquid liver-flavored one for Onyx the outside cat; a prescription isn't necessary. I think she had them, as she's looking better and put on some weight since. Is Meow a picky eater? And Patch? The liquid over wet food would probably be easier to use than a pill.....I have no idea about building up immunity to them; seems a bit unlikely, but am not sure.

Catsey Veteran

25-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #7

http://www.bestpet.co.uk/search_resu...orm_& _Dental

You can get different kinds here Jane.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
25-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #8

Does Patch go hunting at all Jane? If he catches mice, birds etc then more than likely he has worms.

Like Elaine, I worm Cassie every 3 months. She is not very cooperative taking tablets so I give her Panacur Favourites which she will eat straight from my hand..... or you can crumble it up. These tablets are a meaty flavour and taste something like Oxo cubes .......or so my vet says!! I buy them online, much cheaper than from the vet...

Catsey Senior

25-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #9

Thanks guys. Mags - Patch doesn't really go hunting but I'm pretty sure Meow does.

Think we will get some worming stuff for them then Mags, can the tablet be crumbled up over food etc?

Dandysmom - yep they both do however Meow has been off hers for a while (has just been eating dry food) and Patch is picky if there's something 'different' on it Maybe we will get a tablet for them..

Have just had a look on the vetuk website (which is where we get his frontline from) they have 'Panacur favourites' which I'm pretty sure is what you're talking about Mags? http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...du cts_id=173
Oh and if anyone has ordered it from there (if you know any different sites which are not more expensive then please say too ) it says 'Sold individually ie: Price is per tablet and dispensed in dispensing envelope.' but on the box in the photo it says '2 tablets' so yeah...is that price one or two tablets??

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
25-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #10

A tablet form of wormer .... vetuk is a good website. Otherwise, your local vet will have some in stock. I dont reccommend the 'Petshop' wormers because I dont think they are quite as effective.