Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Siamese / Ragdoll / Maine Coon
17-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #21

Re: New mum... not doing so well

Im all of the following... Stunned, amazed, excited, shocked, happy & angry!!!
Let me explain... I got up this morning things where much the same she was happy but not feeding them, so i gave then just a minimum of food for their little tummys to get them through the couple hours I had to be going to work but not so much that they wouldnt keep trying mum for her milk! So... then i got home this afternoon... only to discover!.... ONE MORE KITTEN!!! (No wonder she couldnt settle or be botherd to feed them in all honesty.) She is feeding them prety well now and thats fantastic news!!!

However... She was in with that vet yesterday & he "checked her & felt her" and said "yes she was def empty now"!:S! and then he gave her than injection to help the milk on. Why on earth could he not tell she had another kitten inside her... Im so angry (Surely at the least he should have been able to hear another heart beat???

Anyway for alll my rage, Im just shocked & amazed that this new kitten is healthy and doing well & that mum is feeding them better now. Im hoping by this evening it will all be completely natural to her and she wont give it a second thought!
Im very proud of her... less proud of my vet... & very very greatful to everyone here tha has offerd us such kind words & help! Will keep you further posted.
Love,
Shell.xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
17-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #22

No wonder the poor wee thing didn't want to feed! bet she feels so much better now.
As for your Vet......I'll go with my first post, get another. To be honest I'd be giving him a mouthful.

I'm so so glad things have sorted themselves out. Nature's brilliant!!! So how many babies do we have?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #23

What a surprise! And I'm amazed that the vet didn't catch it??!!! Great news that the late arrival seems healthy and that mum's feeding them now...please keep us posted, and pics later..???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #24

Great news and congratulations on the extra arrival

It did cross my mind that there might be another in there but since you had had her checked over by your vet I dismissed the thought

Anyhow, hope things progress well now!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Ragdoll, BSH & Maine Coons
17-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #25

It will probably have been the oxytocin that brought on the labour of the other kitten. It isnt unheard of that queens can be seen to have finished giving birth and 24 hours later deliver another kitten. It is possible she could have been carrying the kitten in a position where it was difficult to detect it. The only definate way of detecting unborn kittens is through ultrasound scanning and some vets won't do it if they dont feel the need, odd i know when its a sure fire answer.

But the good side is they are all healthy and mum is a lot more settled and feeding well. her milk will probably be coming in now and you will find they all do well.

Keep us posted and look forward to seeing some pictures

Sarah
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #26

Great to hear she is now feeding the kittens, bit of a shock for you though another arrival!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #27

So pleased to hear everything is going well now and mum is feeding the babies........ but what a shock that last kitten must have been!

Oh and congratulations on the new kittens!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
17-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #28

Yay I'm so pleased to read she is feeding them now, poor thing must have been so uncomfortable and unable to settle. Glad the last kitten came through OK too

I do agree with Jac tho, it's probably worth looking for another vet that is able to treat your cats as the precious creatures they are.

Can we have some pictures please! My kitten broodiness hasn't maxxed out yet

Cats owned: Siamese / Ragdoll / Maine Coon
17-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #29

Hello all...

Mum & kittens still doing much better even as the day goes on (As to be expected when I think about it though!)

Still pretty much leaving her alone at the moment to really really form a strong bond with them. She has 4 in total & we couldnt be more happy now.

Im going to try and get up to the mall one evening this week to buy a new digital camera & ill take some photos then!!! (the current one has given up the ghost for some unknown reason! Typical!)

Be in touch again soon
xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
17-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #30

Glad to hear all is well with the little family.

It is always awkward when newborns don't feed but it is best not to jump in too quickly with hand rearing. If you hand rear them and they are full they will stop feeding off their mum thus causing the milk to never come. It is best to leave them for a while and then only give them a mix of glucose water with the tiniest colouring of milk substitute so it is like cloudy water (newborns cannot absorb the full strength milk and it lies on their stomach and goes sour eventually poisioning their system). Give them tiny amounts of this every 2 hours for at least 24 hours then slowly increase the strength of milk till they are being fed the appropiate strength. Hopefully by this time mum's milk will have come in and you won't need to continue. 1ml syringes are the best to use and your vet can usually supply them. They allow the tiniest drop through at a time and so lessen the chance of the kitten taking to much and possibly get it on their lungs and subsequently drown. Just give 1-2ml every 2 hours.

Glad you didn't need it with this litter but thought it may be helpful with any future litters.