Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
10-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #1

Patch is being neutered :)

Well...it's true, Patch is finally being neutered! If anyone doesn't know I'm 13, so obviously I couldn't force my parents to get him done/take him to the vet myself to get him done etc so please bare in mind that I did all I could! He is about 14 months old now I think. (wow, I just realised, he's been with us for a year and 2 days!)

Well, there's this oldish (I think lol) couple that live about three doors down..they have a couple of cats which Patch got into a fight with last week or something (both of them but at different times bad kitty ) so he came round and apparently (was upstairs) explained that basically he was worried about his cats, when he had them neutered they didn't want to find any more etc etc. (which I'd already explained to my parents but you know what they are like!!). Anyway, apparently this guy knows someone from the cats protection league and got in touch with them..they called us the other day to talk about neutering him..they (she's called Ruth btw apparently :P) then called back today and she has booked him into the vets for Thursday morning. They are coming to collect him Wednesday afternoon at 3:30pm (ack..I usually get home about that time from school, will walk really fast to say bye to my baby ), he will be done thursday morning then brought home thurday some time.

Well...that was long I'm glad he's finally being done - I've wanted him to be done for aggggggggggges and it's finally here.

I admit I'm really worried about him..he's not very people friendly in general and I'm scared he's gunna go crazy and attack the vet person or the CPL person Doesn't help that the CPL woman said they could humanely catch him if he was aggressive, and my brothers goes "sounds more like they want to humanely kill him to me" and I know they wouldn't do that but I'm scared now lol.

So yep...wonder if anyone actually read the whole post
also, any tips for getting him into the carrier??

Jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #2

Re: Patch is being neutered :)

I am pleased he is being neutered Jane xxx
Try not to worry too much.
Have you tried putting him in a carrier before?

I'll tell you a short story, cats make bloody liars out of us constantly
I once had a cat, Woody, who had been very badly treated and fed drugs etc etc. Took him two years to begin to trust me in any way. He and Winston were best pals. He had never been to the vets in all his years since being neutered as a youngster. One day he wasnt quite himself and I called the vet, I told them he didnt like people and had been badly treated. Got him in the cat carrier (eventually), he went mental all the way to the vets, made loads of noise, thrashed about so much that I was frightened for him.
We got to the vets, the vet had great huge gauntlets on and was prepared for him to come screaming out of the cat box.
I opened the door and he was the sweetest pussy cat ever and I felt really stupid.

I wish him well for his little op' xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #3

Jane, he will be scared and may well put up a fight. But CP will NEVER harm a healthy animal and there are ways of ensuring the cat doesn't attack (ways which will not harm Patches in any way).

I'm happy that he will at last be 'done'. He'll be a happier cat for it. I had an ex-stray that was entire who we had neutered and he turned into a soppy old lap cat soon after!

Don't worry, for boy-cats the op is very straightforward! And good on you for all your persuasive work on your parents

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
10-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #4

Thanks guys

Elaine - I hope that does happen but I doubt it..either way, you're right, the vet will be prepared and I assume they get cats like him (and worst) regularly? He's never been in his carrier before..no...well, only to like sit in then walk out of. I think we'll put it down in the living room today so he can go in and out..good idea or not?

yola - thanks..just my brother scared me into thinking well..I dunno what lol. I hope he does become a bit friendlier...but hey, if not, atleast he'll not be creating baby Patchikins (as cute as they would be )

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #5

Yes, I read it all Jane!

I'm so pleased that Patch is going to be neutered at last, it will be far better for him too.

We all know the responsibility wasn't on your young shoulders Jane and you have told us that you've passed on all the advice you have received from Catsey to your parents....thank you The important thing is that with Patch being neutered on Thursday, that will be one less cat being able to add to overwhelming rescue population.

I'm sure all will go well for him........give him a few extra cuddles from us..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #6

I leave the carrier out all the time with their blankets in so that they are never scared of the carrier. They often sleep in it. Sadly Eva has a womans instinct and knows when she is going to the vets so I normally wrap her in one of her blankets or a towel and then just shove her fat ass inside
Once inside she isnt a problem.
Bernie on the other hand is no problem to get into the carrier, its once he's in there the meows for Scotland and sticks his skinny black legs through the cage door and grabs you with his claws .

Maybe put his fav blanket and a wee treat in there over the next few days to let him get used to it. Then on the day he is due to be picked up, maybe an extra special treat to entice him in, if he's not already asleep in it that is.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #7

I know it's easy to say, Jane, but try not to worry, as everyone has said it's a simple operation for boys, and the CPL people and the vet are trained handing upset/hysterical/angry cats. They will not hurt Patch! I'm so glad it's finally being done' he will be a calmer, happier cat once the hormones are out of his system! Lots of ((hugs))) and let us know how he is when he gets home!! xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
10-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #8

Well done Jane, for talking your parents round, you have acted very responsibly. Im sure Patch will be fine and he cant get any Cats pregnant now and in all probablility wont want to be off fighting,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
10-09-2007, 11:56 PM   #9

With regards to the carrier, I have to use gravity with Bubbles. She refuses to go in if I try and put her in normally (including sticking out all 4 paws on the edges and no amount of dislodging with a hand can match the speed of those paws.

Now I put the carrier up on end, pick her up and then gently drop her into the opening, it takes her a moment to realise and you can get the door shut

Hope that helps and well done for working at getting him neutered, it should help calm him down too

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grete
With regards to the carrier, I have to use gravity with Bubbles. She refuses to go in if I try and put her in normally (including sticking out all 4 paws on the edges and no amount of dislodging with a hand can match the speed of those paws.

Now I put the carrier up on end, pick her up and then gently drop her into the opening, it takes her a moment to realise and you can get the door shut

Hope that helps and well done for working at getting him neutered, it should help calm him down too
That's exactly the only way I could get Sultan into the carrier ! I'd hide it behind the door and then grab him and pop him into it before he realized what was happening!