Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
28-08-2007, 04:54 AM   #1

what is up with the frontline?

two weeks ago my vet finally gave the okay for kuan yin to start using frontline (three and a half months old). before, i was fighting her flea problem with just baths and combing so we were both relieved. not only did i get frontline for her, but also for my three dogs so this problem would not go in circles (not a cheap bill, i must say). well, today i was cuddling her and just by petting her found three live fleas that i caught and squished myself. what's going on? why would the frontline not work? do i need to spray my house?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
28-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #2

Re: what is up with the frontline?

the vet just confirmed it will take three months for it to break the cycle...i didn't know that. also, they said the fleas i see on her have to bite her first and then die within 24 hours..but they shouldn't have full red bellies..two of the three i saw DID...i'm feeling a little skeptical but i suppose i'll just keep the frontline schedule and try to treat the house when i get some finances...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
28-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #3

That's the problem with the Frontline spot on, the fleas have to jump on the cat and bite first before they die. The Frontline spray works differently, so might be worth considering the spray next time, it is also longer acting than the spot on so will probably work out cheaper for you. The only problem is a lot of cats don't tolerate being sprayed. If I ever use it, I wear surgical gloves and spray the gloves not the cat and then massage it into the fur. I would recommend you get a treatment for your house and furnishings. Also make sure you wash all the pet bedding on a high temp. Until you treat everything and everybody, you are unlikely to break the cycle unfortunately. Good luck!

Cats owned: Half Burmese
30-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #4

There's a thing called Vetkem or something which is a household flea spray and works wonders. Get every one out of the house for half an hour and spray everywhere - furniture above and below, carpets etc. Guaranteed to work. Another good trick is crawiling insect spray (Raid) and a flea coller in the hoover bag. Get the little gits wherever they're lurking.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
01-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #5

The best advice that I can possibly give you is to treat your house aswell.

If any animals living in the house have had fleas, there is a 99% chance that they are living in your house too. Unfortunately, carpets, cushions, sofas and beds provide perfect habitats for fleas to make their home - along comes kitten - on jumps flea. It really is a vicious cycle.

I don't know if you get this brand where you are but I find RIP Fleas to be very effective. They advise that you hoover before and after application, spray everywhere, including beds and sofas and underneath. The only things not to spray is your own bedding a clothing

Hope you sort the problem soon!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
02-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #6

Hope the problem gets sorted soon

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #7

When I had a flea problem years back I vacuumed up flea powder before and after vacuuming, and it seemed to help a lot......