Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
23-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #11

Re: Orijen food recal

Oh my goodness how scary! I've been giving Orijen dry cat food to my two before. I went through one large bag about 3 months ago as a small part of their dry food (they also get lots of wet food) and I've just been giving them wee bits mixed in with their other dry food again. How very scary.

I will throw out the bag when I get home and never give it to them again. I do hope they'll be ok.

So sorry to hear of the heartbreak you've gone through with your two and thanks for the warning.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
23-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #12

I found this link with a letter from Orijen explaining the unfortunate tragedy of the Orijen Food in Australlia:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-chat/...-deaths-3.html

It seems that the irridation process used on Orijen food as it was brought into Australlia is what caused the creation of free radicals and toxins within the food. And so the recall is confined to Australlia only. Even though this seems plausible, I will still be throwing the bag of Orijen out when I get home. Better safe than sorry. I was just so worried for my two once I read this original post.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
23-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #13

On and off all day this post has come into my head. I think it is absolutely appaling that a company that purports to sell wholesome food for pets has caused the suffering of so many well loved wee beasties.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
23-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #14

Does anyone know if the cause is neospora?