Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Siamese / Ragdoll / Maine Coon
16-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #1

New mum... not doing so well

I have a siamese new mum who had a litter of three yesterday... She is really pleased with them but is acting totally clueless when it comes to feeding them. We have placed them on her but the milk doesnt seem to be flowing. We are trying to bottle feed the kittens today but they are really unhappy about feeding from a bottle & its near impossible... Im getting really worried now as they have to get feeding properly.
(We have had 2 litters of siamese kittens from our other queen but never had this problem before as she was a natural & fantastic mother from the moment they where born.)
Any advice would be gladly recieved!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
16-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #2

Re: New mum... not doing so well

Hello and Welcome to Catsey. So sorry to hear your having problems. Have you thought of phoning the Vet? I know you could get an injection to stimulate the milk. Other than that I don't know.
I hope someone with more knowledge will be along shortly. Good luck.
Just a thought. Do you know of someone with a lactating queen that could stand in in the short term?

16-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #3

Sorry I did mean to say that my boyfriend took her to the vet hospital this morning & she did recieve that injection... Im still just worrying. (When i called the emergancy vet to so that we could take her in today I got the impression they wernt very happy that they would have to see her when I explained the situation,which kind of shocked me & my boyfriend said they wernt very encouraging about it when he was in there getting her the injection...They just told us to bottle feed them today & call them in the morning.)
Im most worried that they wont take from the bottle hardly at all. Sleepless nights and bottle feeds dont bother me, but I need to get them to want to take it from the bottle.
(A friend of mine has a queen but she isnt lactating at the moment sadly.)
Thanks for replying.x

Catsey Veteran

16-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #4

Dont be despondent. I'm not a breeder but I know how finicky Siamese can be. If there not keen on the bottle then I would say at this stage that's quite good. During the nite they will be hungry. That in turn will stimulate Mum. ( well in theory) It's early days. I think it takes between 12 and 24 hours for the injection to work ( could be wrong )
Sarah had problems like this. I'll give her a call for you and see if she can help. Hold on.

16-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #5

Thank you so much! Id really appreciate that.x

Catsey Veteran

16-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #6

She's not home at the moment and I lost the signal. Will txt her.

16-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #7

thanks

Catsey Veteran

16-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #8

Look in your PM box.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Ragdoll, BSH & Maine Coons
16-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #9

I've pm'ed you too

Sarah
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #10

Hi, please do not rush into bottle feeding these babys. You could kill them with kindness as if they are reluctant to feed the milk could go onto their lungs and they will in effect drown.

Firstly, it is not uncommon for the milk to take a couple of days to come in. Your vet will most likely have given an injection of oxytocin which helps with letting the milk down. This will take a while to take effect. Have you got a very small syringe? If so syringe a very small amount of warm glucose water into the babies every couple of hours and hopefully by tomorrow her milk will have been let down. If you do have to give formula milk then it should not be full strength, dilute it down so that it is just 'coloured' and again feed just a small amount every couple of hours. 2mls is adequate at this age. if you rush into hand rearing too quickly, the babies will rely on the bottle and be reluctant to feed off mum, hence less milk production, and it's a viscious circle. Good luck, feel free to pm me if you need...