Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthairs
03-02-2007, 11:28 PM   #1

cat proof fencing

Hi, sorry if this subject has been covered before but new to this site & would appreciate any feedback. Have decided more or less to cat proof the garden, (sister lives next door so it would surround 2 gardens which gives the cats quite a good range) have spoken at length to secur-a-cat fencing & have been to see a garden with this type fitted, am still not 100% convinced the cats - at least one of them won't escape which will probably finish me as i need to keep them safe with the world as it is & the level of special need cats i own.
I would not be fitting the netting myself, as Secur-a cat offer a fitting service (or they used to)
i eagerly await your comments

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
03-02-2007, 11:31 PM   #2

Re: cat proof fencing

this may be helpful
http://www.woodycoon.com/html/cat-proof_fencing.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #3

Kathryn - I think Dawn (borderdawn) has the best fencing. This link will take you to a thread with links to another thread(! ) and which cover the majority of our previous conversations on fencing
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...e+cat-proofing
Good luck and keep us up to speed with this - it is a topic which comes up again and again

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #4

I havent got cat proof fencing but I know of several people who have bought fencing from Roz at Secure a cat and they are all very happy with the results.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
04-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #5

I have the secur-a-cat fencing from Roz. I got a friend of my dad's to fit it for me and have had it about 18 months now. My cats have never escaped and have in fact never tried.

Personally - I think it's fab and wouldn't be without it. My cats get to go outside in the sun and watch the birds etc and they are perfectly safe.

I did have a problem with a stray cat managing to get in, but that was partly my fault as there was a weakness in the netting where it joined one of the walls of my house, as there is a window there so it was difficult to fix it to the house. Anyway - even tho he got in and my cats watched him.........they still never tried to escape!! I think they are used to it now and happy with what they have.

Have your cats had free access outside before tho? I don't think it's fair to restrict a cat that has previously had free access outside. All of mine were either indoor cats before or I got them as kittens and they didn't know any different.

Ask me any questions if you're still not sure!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
04-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #6

You can see my garden and the cat-proofing in the background of this picture - taken last summer.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/climber2.jpg