Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: spyhinx, siamese
17-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

Cat flu

can anyone help ? has anyone had an experience of a cat with the cat flu virus ? if so how long did it last ?
i have a cat with the virus and its been going on for a month now, hes seen a vet 2 times but all they give is antibiotics or inflamatory medicine, they help but now much.
I am thinking he also has whats called "chronic snuffles" has anyone experienced this ?
thanx
taymar x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #2

Re: Cat flu

Sorry taymar - I am no help as I've never had a cat with cat flu thankfully. I am sure someone else will be along to offer advise.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
17-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #3

My cat who is now 4 had cat flu as a kitten. We kept him indoors the whole time and gaveb him lots of tlc. When we first got him he went to the vets for antibiotic injection (I think it was antibiotic) and had drops for his eyes.

He must have had it for about 6 weeks because he couldnt have his vaccinations until the cat flu had cleared up.

If you are worried, don't hesitate about returning to the vets. If anything, they will atleast put your mind at ease.

17-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Sorry taymar - I am no help as I've never had a cat with cat flu thankfully. I am sure someone else will be along to offer advise.

Thanx anyway, i am sure your correct.

17-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
My cat who is now 4 had cat flu as a kitten. We kept him indoors the whole time and gaveb him lots of tlc. When we first got him he went to the vets for antibiotic injection (I think it was antibiotic) and had drops for his eyes.

He must have had it for about 6 weeks because he couldnt have his vaccinations until the cat flu had cleared up.

If you are worried, don't hesitate about returning to the vets. If anything, they will atleast put your mind at ease.
Thanx for the info tanya, my cat is also just a kitten but he had already had his vacanations before getting the cat flu. He eats and drinks normally and hes kept warm , i dont really think theres much more the vet can do unless he deteriorates, i have read online that theres no cure, just various meds to ease the symptoms. i wont hesitate to return him to the vest if he does go down hill . thanks xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
17-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #6

My cat Bronwyn is a carrier for the cat flu.

It will help the kitten if it doesn't get stressed, it should clear up in time just keep an eye on it and return back to the vets if you are concerned.

18-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
My cat Bronwyn is a carrier for the cat flu.

It will help the kitten if it doesn't get stressed, it should clear up in time just keep an eye on it and return back to the vets if you are concerned.
Hi Emma, thanks for the support. Hes on the mend and shows signs of getting better each day now. for a week or so there we were quite worried and i just thought that if other people had had similar experiences it would help me to understand better by hearing them.
taymar xx