Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
09-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #1

A bit gutted!

Fluffy was in for a blood test after having her thyroid meds increase- we were talking about an op and the vet wanted to try her on a higher dose for a month- a) to see if it made any difference and b) to try an drop her levels even a bit to reduce the risk during the op. Her results came through today and theya re now at 180, she was 150 a month ago. He asked whether I wanted to try with an increase in dose again, and as much as I would love to try, I have decided to go for the op. The longer we leave her the more risk of heart and kidney problems. I am very anxious already. The vet is going to have a look when we can fit her in- he hasn't done the op before so wants the senior partner there as well because he did one a couple of years ago. I am not concerned about their skills as they are both very good surgeons and I know they will do their best- but she's not in good nick to be going through this, but the longer we leave it the bigger the risk gets.
The vet thinks the bill will be between £200- £300 depending on how long it takes, and we have Candy in tomorrow. I think this will be an expensive month!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #2

Re: A bit gutted!

I am sorry to hear this news Farthing. Poor Fluffy - of course I hope the op will go well. Do let us know when she will be going in for it and I will have a word with The Great Cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
09-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #3

Sorry to hear Fluffy needs an op, hopefuly she will be much better afterwards.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #4

Praying all will go well for Fluffy........ (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
09-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

Hoping the op sorts everything out for Fluffy and that they can fit her in soon!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
09-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #6

hoping everything goes alright for fluffy!

Catsey Veteran

09-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #7

I feel completely exhausted today- worry over Candy and Fluffy and then this evening Deli the dalmation had sickness and diarrhoea again. She is booked in on Friday for her routine blood sample and booster, but I may have to get her in tomorrow. I'm starting to worry it is linked to her liver problems rather than a recurring bug. I will try to get a sample to check it isn't coccidiosis again, but I;m starting to have my worries.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
09-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #8

Oh dear when it rains it pours, doesn't it. I'm sorry to hear this. I think you're right though, the sooner the better for the op. And I just know with you caring for her, she is in the best hands. Hugs to you for being strong for her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
09-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #9

Oh dear, you are having a worrying time. ((hugs))

I hope the thyroid op goes well. Sasha had this op a few years ago, we decided to go straight for the op as she was absolutely the worst cat for taking meds! Everything went well and she lost all the weight she had put on, it was definitely the best decision we made.

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #10

I spoke to the senior partner today and it looks like Fluffy will be booked in for next week.