Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #1

Disciplining a cat

This evening i went to visit a cleint about walking her doberman, as we were chatting, we got onto the subject of cats, as i do . Any way, they have a small female cat who was a rescue, apparently she claimed the daughters room and would attack her when she entered the room. The daughter took the cat to the vets for a routine visit, the vet noticed all the scratches on the girl and asked about her behaviour, this vet recomended that the girl discipline the cat. Now when she said this to me alarm bells started to go off in my head so I asked her just how she disciplined the cat. She told me that when she entered her room, after the vet visit, she picked the cat up, it began to get aggressive with her so she dropped her and now when she picks the cat up she bumps it, sort of like pretending that she is going to drop her again but she doesnt drop her. Are you all following me?
Anyway, I just wondered if any of you had thought about disciplining your cat/s and just how would you go about it?
Me, personally, find the word (discpline) a bit frightening tbh, not sure i would agree with dropping the cat purposefully but I guess its better than smacking the cat or is it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #2

Re: Disciplining a cat

Interesting. I have never actually tried discipling cats. When he/she is doing something unacceptable I try to distract him/her with something: a toy, treat, etc. And when they play too roughly I let out a loud yell, say "No!..hurts!!!" and stop the game immediately. They catch on. I do not believe in physical punishment. I don't think they really relate cause and effect, and think what it teaches them is that people are unpredictable and that people can be mean! Formerly loving hands have become hurting hands. No way to build trust, IMO....

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #3

I just use my voice if ever I have to discipline, I wouldn't dream of doing anything physical like that ....

Catsey Veteran

12-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Interesting. I have never actually tried discipling cats. When he/she is doing something unacceptable I try to distract him/her with something: a toy, treat, etc. And when they play too roughly I let out a loud yell, say "No!..hurts!!!" and stop the game immediately. They catch on. I do not believe in physical punishment.
Thats what i always do too, not that Eva pays any attention to me unless there is food in it for her
I just thought it was odd that a vet would a) use those words (discipline the cat) and b) surely even dropping the cat could have serious implications.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
12-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #5

I wonder what the queen does to put the kitten in its place? It isn't something I have observered having only rescue cats and kittens but I wonder if she would scruff it then drop it??

Anyway not a lot worked with Denis shouting, hand up and reasoning with sweet talk haven't worked and still don't, with him being feral he just goes on the attack all the time and if he is tired he is worse he growls and moans then goes for me full on. If I walk away he runs after me biting my ankles!!!! so I close the door on him now and go back in when I think he will have calmed down

I have never had any behavioural problems with any of the other cats that I have owned

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #6

I just say No! in a loud voice, or oye!! Would never do something like that to my boys..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #7

I have always said "No" firmly and raised my finger. But have actually found that making a fuss of Merlin and Smudge when they've been good worked better when they were young. Oddles of attention when they are good and withdraw attention when they are being naughty or misbehaving.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 cats british moggies
14-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #8

I have 3 puddy cats, one ,the eldest insists on peeing in the house on occasions, he is 14 year old tom and goes out normally to 'do the biz'

I find myself shouting at the a lot, never ever physical as I think the cat would resent you after this treatment TBH....now since I had my 1st child, a 7 month old exploring baby and 3 cats, hard work

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy's
14-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #9

I say no to snoopy n she understands that, i say no to peanuts n she looks at me like im mad so with peanuts cos she can be naughty i squirt her with a bit of water x

Catsey Veteran

14-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #10

Hi Claws_Applaws, maybe this link can help, Wizz is a lovely woman and very helpful.
http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/soiling.html