Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
04-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Jerry

I spoke to soon about Jerry's cystitis being under control.

Its back and is not responding to drugs he is being given. He has been on 3 different tablets twice a day for nearly 2 weeks now. He is obviously in some discomfort as he is really growling and hissing when Im trying to pill him. There has been alot of blood in very gritty urine today so Im off to the vets with him again later, he's being kept in tonight and will be given a general tomorrow and have xrays and scans taken and more blood tests

Please keep all fingers and toes and everything crossed that nothing nasty shows up.

Will update you later once I know more.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #2

Re: Jerry

Oh Erin, I am so sorry. I went through this with Merlin years ago. Fingers and everything else crossed for Jerry. (((HUGS)))

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #3

So sorry to hear this Erin, poor Jerry....

Will be thinking of you both tomorrow ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #4

Everything crossed they get him sorted this time Erin xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #5

I do so hope they can find a solution for Jerry's cystitis. As a regular sufferer I know how desperately miserable the condition can be . . . poor lad, I hope he responds to treatment soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #6

Oh Erin, so sorry to hear Jerry's having problems again. Fingers crossed all will go well tomorrow and they can get him sorted. (((hugs)))

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
04-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #7

Me and all my furry creatures all have everything crossed for Jerry's tests tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
05-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #8

Jerry back home, and well just still quite sleepy bless him.

His blood tests came back normal except for showing high glucose levels. We are hoping that this is just the stress of being at the vets but his urine will be checked for diabetes.

His urine was checked under the microscope and showed alot of struvite crystals which has been causing all the problems, but luckily no stones showed up on the scan so we have caught it early!! The urine is going to the lab to check for diabetes and infections and any other abnormalities.

So he's taking dantrium and hypovase twice daily and has been put on the royal canin urinary food which the vet wants him on for the long term.

Hopefully nothing nasty shows up in the urine and the high glucose levels were just down to him being a little stressed!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #9

Please give Jerry a gentle cuddle from me Erin. It's just like Merlin, apart from the increased glucose level. Merlin had an ultrasound too, and I assisted as Merlin had bitten the nurse! He was on the high pH diet for many many years - in fact it changed 3 times during that period. He did have the occasional cystitis bout, but always responded quickly to antibi's and of course we were always aware of the signs. I do hope that Jerry's condition can be kept under control and he will be a happier cat and live long and prosper! ((((HUGS)))) for you too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
05-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #10

Poor Jerry, I hope they can sort him out.

Sidney had his first bout of cystitis at the week-end, but thankfully he seems much better now. I took him to the vet on Saturday morning and was quite surprised that he was prescribed metacam and Cystease capsules. I was really surprised he was not prescribed AB's, but apparently latest research has shown they don't help, in fact they can aggravate it!

Erin, it might be cheaper to buy the vet diet online rather than from your vets. I have awlays found vet uk, good. This link takes you to the cystease tabs, they might be helpful for Jerry?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/digestive-sup...capsules-p-747