Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
02-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #1

confused cat

toby my 15 yr old cat has been behaving even stranger than usual recently,he's a cryer anyway,but recently its been getting worse.

at first it was the scratching of his ears,usually when he is sitting off the ground,when scratching he loses balance and ends up on the floor,STILL scratching ive had to pick him up on a number of occasions to stop him scratching,scared he may hurt himself.

his more recent thing is when he's outside,away from the back door he makes this awfull noise,like either being attacked by another cat,even tho no cat is there,or a seagull squaking,

he seems to do it at the nxt stair door not mine,when i call him,he comes right away and is fine

i wonder if he's going senile

im taking him to the vet anyway on friday,to check his ears

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #2

Re: confused cat

Niki, have his hearing and eyesite checked out whilst you are at the vet. My friend had an old cat who was going senile and used to cry like that, but on top of it, her cat lost much of his sight and hearing which added to his confusion. And the ear scratching in your cat might be an added symptom . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
02-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #3

my thoughts are also possibly senile and maybe an ear infection as the balance is affected when something is off with their ears. if he has other conditions like hyperthyroid or anything that would give him high blood pressure it might make his ears feel odd. i hope the vet figures it out and it is a simple fix and he feels better soon.

Catsey Senior

02-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #4

last time i took him to the vet i got him checked out,his hearing is ok,the usual selective hearing for a cat lol,he reacts to high pitched noises,his eyes i was worried about coz the pupils r permanatley big,but the vet said it wasnt a problem

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
02-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #5

hmm with my experience when cuddles lost vision in one of her eyes the pupil was constantly big, it never shrank down (you could tell by flashing a light in it, there was no reaction). do you think maybe his vision is the issue now? maybe it has changed since your last visit? is he navigating around quite well? i wonder if he comes once you call him b/c he is listening for the direction of your voice? hmmmm...interesting. do his pupils shrink in the light?

Catsey Senior

02-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #6

nope they always stay big,they have been like that for a few years,they arent cloudy,just black

Catsey Veteran

02-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #7

If his pupils are unresponsive even with direct, bright lights being shone into them you really should flag this with your vet. A pupil will reduce in size dramatically if a (for instance) torch is shone directly into it.

Catsey Senior

02-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #8

like i said............

Catsey Veteran

02-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #9

Sorry - didn't mean to bore you - just trying to help.

Catsey Senior

02-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #10

lol. its ok