Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #31

Re: Fifi paw update

Usually I would agree with you Karen, but I do feel that cats can manage very well on 3 legs, I have seen many and if Fifi is otherwise healthy then I personally wouldn't see this as an option, certainly not yet anyway.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
04-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #32

When Lucy had her chemo I was told by the vets that cats do not have the same reaction/feelings as we do to cancer treatments (how much of that is true I suppose nobody knows)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
When Lucy had her chemo I was told by the vets that cats do not have the same reaction/feelings as we do to cancer treatments (how much of that is true I suppose nobody knows)
That's interesting Emma. My vet said that cats struggle with chemo - particularly the platinum based therapy used for dogs - essentially it kills when it should cure.

I think from a practical point of view, chemo is tricky simply because of the distances and frequency involved. But if the poor lass is weak as a side effect and constantly sick on top of this, then I would question whether I put my gentle little girl through that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
04-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #34

Sorry to hear the problems have recurred with Fifi.
I too would opt for amputation- I know of a cat and a dog who had chemotherapy and both coped very well, it was a possible option for Samson. From what I have read the greater issue about chemotherapy for cats is that it isn't hugely successful, added to which I didn't want to put Samson through the journey's and time away from home. Having had an amputee cat, I would have no worries about having another one, Triger coped amazingly well, was on the go the whole time and incredibly musclular. When he ran you wouldn't know he had 3 legs and could balance on a fence post.
Fifi is young and if the cancer hasn't spread, I would personally give her a chance. Once Triger recovered from the op we had no more vet bills associated with the amputation and the only thing he retained from the op was a hatred of needles- it was the only time he turned nasty.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and keep us posted.