Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #1

Good news and less good news.

Helga and Pudding were at the vet yesterday- the reason was to get their second vaccination.
Helga was weighed, vaccinated and microchipped, as we hope she can go out once she is a bit lighter.
She has lost another 200gms, so in total a kilo- she is now 7kgs.

Pudding has gradually become more and more snottery- not sure if it is linked to Jimmy's problem a couple of weeks ago. She has lost half a kilo and the vet is very concerned, but she isn't eating much because it is hard for her to breathe and she can't smell it- even tuna. Her vaccine has obviously been delayed and she is on strong antibiotics to try and knock it on the head- we are so disappointed but hopefully we can get her over this and start to get weight back on her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #2

Re: Good news and less good news.

Well done to Helga and fingers crossed for Pudding - hope her snottiness can be rectified so her appetite will increase naturally. Poor lass, can't smell anything. Is it an allergy do you think or some sort of bug?

Catsey Veteran

21-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #3

I think it is a bug, Jimmy had similar a couple of weeks ago.
A couple of them have seemed a bit off colour since, but nothing really obvious, just not eating as normal and quieter. I'm guessing Pudding is just more suseptable in her frail condition and it has hit her harder. Still such a worry when they are poorly to begin with.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #4

Excellent about Helga! Poor Pudding, hope her ABs kick in so she can regain her sense of smell and appetite.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
21-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #5

Good to hear Helga is doing so well, hope Pudding starts to recover soon...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
22-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #6

Congratulations to Helga and i hope Pudding is feeling better soon, poor thing.

Catsey Veteran

22-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #7

Well, I'm really worried about Pudding, she's eaten practically nothing today and the antibiotics have made no real difference. She is disappearing before my eyes and I can see us back where we started with her. It is so upsetting when we have her thyroid under control, although I have always had a niggle about her on top of the thyroid problem. I bought in petite pate tins, blended some in cat milk, some without and she has access to the usual hi-life, she's turned her nose up at it all- maybe picked a little but not much.
I just don't see how we can make a cat eat who doesn't want to, and her snuffles are so bad it would upset her to try and syringe feed her. She is back first thing tomorrow so I hope the vet has some other options as I don't know what to try next- may buy some white fish and cook it, but I don't think she has the appetite for anything.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #8

Oh I'm sorry, that doesn't sound good. Really smelly fish like sardines, maybe brush a bit of the oil on her lips so maybe she can taste it...??? I have no idea how to tempt her to start eating even a little bit....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #9

Is she drinking at all farthing? If she is lapping perhaps you could give her gravy-based food which smells quite strongly. Poor lass, it doesn't sound good.

Catsey Veteran

23-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #10

Pudding is drinking and has eaten a little today.
She went to the vet this morning, and thankfully hasn't lost any weight. She has been given another lot of tablets- baytril to run alongside the noroclav, she is also going onto metacam. The vet wants to see her back on Monday, and if no improvement will be taking swabs to be sent off to identify the cause.

Misty was also ig to get her kidney function tested and it is pretty much the same as last time- so good news for her. She has also maintained her weight.