Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 DSH, Marvin, Felix, Maire
23-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #1

Scabby Sores On Neck

After getting home about an hour or so ago i was getting on with feeding the cats when i noticed a tiny bald patch just under Maires collar. I removed her collar to take a better look to find half the fur on her kneck under her collar is missing but just on one side. The skin is also red and very scabby but the scabbs look quite fresh. Ive cleaned her up with a bit of salt water. She seems pritty fine like she hasnt noticed thers anything wrong and i havnt noticed any change with her behaviour or anything. Ive also checked her over and she doesnt have any anywhere else just on her neck.

Anyone have any ideas of what it might be? might it have something to do with her collar? Neither of my other two cats have any sores. Also is there anything i could put on it till i can get her to the vets tomorrow?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

Re: Scabby Sores On Neck

I'd guess it must be an irritation caused by the collar - is it an "ordinary" one or a flea collar? I've heard of this sort of irritation caused by a flea collar before.

I'd wait until you see the vet. I bet Maire gets the same cream as Kizzy has today!

Catsey Junior

23-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #3

Its just an ordinary kitten collar, its like a leather material. Now that i actually think about it though i have seen her scratching her neck a few times.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #4

It does sound as though it could be the collar causing this.

My cat, Cassie, used to wear a collar until I noticed a loss of fur on her neck, although she didn't have any scabs.

I left the collar off a few years ago and her fur hasn't grown back properly even now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #5

I suspect something in the collar also, even if it's not a flea collar. My Patches when I rehomed her was completely hairless under her collar; took her almost a year to re-grow fur where it had been. Hope she'll be OK after her vet check.

Catsey Junior

24-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #6

Rang the vets this morning and the earliest they can see her is Monday as there fully booked and don't class her as being serious. Is there anything I could put on her to try and calm the itching down as she's itching at the area quite alot and I don't want her getting any worse before Monday.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #7

I know it's distressing to see her scratching but please don't be tempted to try any "human" products on her. It could be made worse or in some cases could poison her. You could try cold water or an ice cube gently applied.

Catsey Veteran

24-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #8

I agree with Angie, why not give the vet a call and ask what you can safely use in the interim to relieve the itching?

Catsey Junior

25-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #9

Just a little update, since taking the collar off and giving regular salt water soaks the biggest part of the sore is healing pritty well and looks 10 times better than it was at first.
The parts she can reach to lick/scratch are still scabby and i think there going to take a while to heal but no sign of any infection or anything so all is well.
Hopefully everything will stay good untill we go to the vets on monday.

Catsey Veteran

25-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #10

Glad to hear that; do let us know what the vet has to say about the cause.