Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggies
04-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #1

Getting Queenie settled in

After seeing Bernie's story I thought I would tell Queenie's. The people who owned her first didn't bother getting her spayed so at 7 months (the vets estimate) she got pregnant and ended up out on her own. When she was ready to give birth she found a house with a kitchen door open walked in and gave birth to 4 kittens, 2 I don't know what sex or what colour and 1 tom black and white kitten and a black queen with 1 white hair on her bib a few white hairs on her tum and a little white tip on her tail. after 3 months at cat protection I went to look at the kittens. Queenie (was Sandy then) jumped on my lap after I had played with the kittens. The fosterer was worried about not having a home and couldn't keep her so I asked if (one I had checked with my mother, we brought a house together a few years ago) if she minded if I took her as well as the 2 kittens. Brought them home and kept them in one room for a while. Then started to let them downstairs. When Queenie came down it was time to introduce her to Lucy our blue merle rough collie. It was drastic!! Queenie took one look fluffed right up and flew at her we got the dog turned round so it was only her bum that got attacked. she wanted that dog dead!!!!!!!!!!!!! So for months we went round with a vinager and water solution in a plant spray so if Queenie started to attack she got it. We even had another home for her just in case. Then after several worrying months she started going for the dog again and had a sharp no! shouted to her, it stopped her in her tracks. Two months after that she started to rub against the dog, then remember that she hated her and whack her nose but there was no more anger in it. A year and a half later her noise of protest at the dog seems to be her call to her and she is nice to Lucy now. So we don't have to worry about her, but if she falls of the furniture she will wack the dog as everything is her fault.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #2

Re: Getting Queenie settled in

You had a bit of a 'hairy' time at the beginning Paula.
So glad it's fine now
No cat likes to look silly - your dog is just unlucky if she happens to be in the firing line when Queenie needs to do something to cover up the fact she's been silly! Lucy gets the thump!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #3

What a lovely story Paula! I'm so glad Queenie accepts Lucy now.....poor dog must have wondered what you had brought home!
Typical cat to show who's boss!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #4

Oh bless, am so glad she accepts your dog now but a cat will always rule the roost I think Really does take a lot of time and patience not to mention dedication from the humans. Its always such a shame when people give up after a few weeks. I dont regret any of what we have gone through, would do a few things differently now. But we all have to learn and cats are pretty good teachers

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #5

What a lovely story Paula with a happy ending

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
06-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #6

So glad they are friends now but Lucy will have to remember just who is boss!!!!