Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
10-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #1

Raw food diet?

I have a neutered Ragdoll tom who has a very sensitive digestion. He is currently on a grain free diet. RC Sensitive/Sensible dry food, Catessy pate, Catzfinefood and Forthgale wet food. I am thinking of trying him on a raw diet, mainly beef and chicken mince. Has anybody tried this? He is 7. I've had him 1 year, owner no longer wanted him and threw him out!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #2

Re: Raw food diet?

Poor Tom - glad he found a loving home with you. All cats can be tricky with food - I have recently started to try my two with Nature's Menu which is raw food in convenient frozen nuggets. Pip, who is not a fussy eater, likes them but Kizzy hasn't touched them yet although I do keep offering her one or two. Just haven't hit on a smell she thinks worthy to try yet perhaps. I am still living in hope. Generally she eats either RC Digestive Comfort or Pro Plan kibble. I don't think either would want to eat raw "full time" but I may be proved wrong. I'm just using it as a daily treat atm. I understand that Ragdolls have specific needs?

Catsey Senior

11-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #3

Thanks Angie, I do know of 2 other Ragdolls that have sensitive tummies so maybe it is a defect with them. I have 4 other cats so The Big Foozy's diet is quite expensive compared to their's. I could just try him on raw food some of the time. The vet said the damage has been done to his tummy because he hasn't been fed properly for a long time plus it was last January when we got him and he'd been out in the snow and cold. He's a beautiful cat and very loving, I just want to do what's best for him as he had such a rotten home before.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
11-03-2014, 03:30 AM   #4

Why not do a mix of both. Ive a few who will eat a small amount of raw poultry & beef & two i give half a raw (pre frozen& tboroughly defrosted) chicken wing (others have no interest) they will happily gnaw their 'bone' for about half an hour & then lose interest - the youngest dog will eat whats left.

Im a great believer in - if it aint broke why fix it.

We have three with sensitive digestion & feed ProPlan Delicate & Felix as Good as it Looks x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
11-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #5

Hi fectos mum, I have a young male colourpoint persian as well as four other young white cats.I don't know much about Ragdolls other than that they are beautiful, but perhaps you could feed a mixture of raw beef, minced chicken and dry food. This is what I feed my cats.Mine have finely cut beef in the mornings and at lunch ,they each have a raw chicken neck. They eat it all amidst much growling to make sure their neck isn't grabbed by another. Chicken mince is also great but be careful if you buy the pet chicken mince as it can contain large chunks of bone. I buy chicken pieces and mince them myself.All my kitties also have free access to Royal Canin Kitten dry biscuits. Just go slowly in introducing the raw food so it doesn't upset the kitties tummies.Good luck.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
11-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #6

My two are on raw from Natural Instinct, which has all the goodness they need for a full diet, though they have dried in a puzzle ball for variety. Unfortunately they've gone off it a little bit, I was going through a poor patch and went to tins for a few weeks. Going to keep persevering though as I know it's good for them.
Give it a try, preserve for a bit if he's not sure, and try all different things and in different ways. Bound to have success with something. Even that you're thinking about it is wonderful I think He's fortunate to have found you.

Catsey Senior

11-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #7

Thanks folks, made a mental note of all suggestions. I think I'll try him a little bit of raw food. Barnaby has RC kitten food and the others like Felix AGAIL but if Big Foozy gets to either of them it really upsets his tummy, Noone of them like Pro Plan or James Wellbeloved. Our local pet food place has just started to do the frozen nuggets so I will try those. Dinky, he is beautiful but fussy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

Hi, why not contact some of the raw food suppliers, see if you can maybe blag a few free samples to try them on?
There are loads out there...
http://rawtogo.co.uk/
http://honeysrealcatfood.com/
http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/prize-choice/
http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/index.ph...ewDoc&docId=32

Or maybe even try
http://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/cat
Not raw but home cooked foods.

Catsey Senior

11-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #9

Thanks Elaine, will give them a whirl. I've checked out Lily's Kitchen, too expensive I'm afraid. It would be cheaper to feed him on cooked chicken.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-03-2014, 01:04 AM   #10

Thank goodness all of our cats eat whatever is put in front of them. We have a wee dog that isn't so easy to feed but her health isnt 100% so have to go with the flow