Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
01-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #1

AJ driving us mad, help please!

for the last few weeks now AJ has been driving us nuts. all the kitties get locked out of our bedroom at night, but they have more then enough beds around the house so they dont need ours! now the problem is that AJ doesnt want to be locked out of our bedroom. he goes downstairs to sleep for most of the night now but the last few weeks every day he has been coming to the bedroom door earlier and earlier and crying and digging and ripping at the carpet to be let in.

we have tried putting tiles down so he cant dig but he manages to move them. we have tried putting all sorts of things in front of the door so he cant get to it but nothing works-he always managed to get past them. if we let him in the bedroom he then wont leave us alone. first i thought it was maybe because he was getting hungry(we cant leave food down for them because there are four cats and two have funny tummys) so i started bringing in a little bit of food at night for him to have when we let him in of a morning-but that didnt work because he ate it and then jumped straight on the bed for fuss!

when it first started he was coming to the door just as he heard our alarm which was sweet, then he started coming a little earlier. now its reached the point where we are getting about 5/6 hours sleep before he is coming and waking us up. if it wernt for sleep deprivation this might be funny all he wants when we let him in(which we have to do because he just stays ripping at the carpet if we dont) is the fuss which we sleepily try to give in the hope that he goes to sleep. we have also tried ignoring him which just results in a mouth full of fur and alot of head bumps from him.

so does anyone have any advice for how to deterr this sort of behaviour? his brother Raven does cry at the door sometimes but i think hes mostly doing it to see why AJ is in with us and he isnt the two younger boys are good as gold and will sleep until we wake up. we have tried letting them all stay in with us and again the younger boys are brilliant but Raven is usually the first up looking for fuss then, followed by AJ-we just cant win!

Sorry to have gone on, im just getting desperate now. please help if you can

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #2

Re: AJ driving us mad, help please!

Do you know that a new study says that 5/6 hours sleep leeds to a longer life Sorry, I know it must be frustrating, I am so cranky if I dont have nearly enough sleep.
Have you tried sticky paws or double sided sellotape on the carpet out side your room? That might stop the digging and scratching.

Catsey Senior

01-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #3

i need a good 9 hours sleep a night or im falling alseep by the afternoon

you know i read earlier about double sided tape and wondered if it might work. also read that cats dont like walking on tinfoil so might give that a try too. i tell you what i have never ever been cruel to an animal in my life but when i look at AJ lately i start to see him as a football..... (only joking i could never hurt the big fatty-just dont tell him that!! )

its a case of i have to laugh or il cry-which has very nearly happened lately

Catsey Veteran

01-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #4

I can relate to that. We used sticky paws when we bought a new sofa, same idea as the double sided sellotape, worked a treat, although they have now taken to scratching the poufe, so will need to get more
Poor AJ only wants to snuggle up with his mum, bless him. I cannt imagine going to bed with out Eva trying to suffocate me but thats just me

Catsey Senior

01-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #5

Actually poor AJ just wants to cuddle up with his Dad-his a proper daddies boy and only seems to be interested in me of a morning when he gets no reaction from his daddy MY cats on the other hand are all good boys

I would love to let all the kitties sleep in with us but i have trouble sleeping as it is and the two younger ones always pile themselves up on me and make me feel like im in an oven-oh the joys of cats

will definately give the double sided tape a try tonight then, im getting too desperate not to! fingers crossed it works for the sake of my sanity!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
01-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #6

Denis was the same and it took a long few months and a good few arguments before he gave up. We had to just ignore him and now he only does it when its windy and I let him in then because I know he is scared of the wind.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #7

The sheets of tinfoil are supposed to work very well; they dislike the texture of it and the noise it makes...give it a try!

Catsey Veteran

02-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
The sheets of tinfoil are supposed to work very well; they dislike the texture of it and the noise it makes...give it a try!

Did any one see Brainiacs last night? They did a small experimant with cats in a square, surrounded by tin foil, the cats just walked right over it and off the set. A little gingerly but they walked over it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Did any one see Brainiacs last night? They did a small experimant with cats in a square, surrounded by tin foil, the cats just walked right over it and off the set. A little gingerly but they walked over it.
Sorry I didn't see the programme, but it seems, so much for that myth!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #10

blimey. 9 hours a night We only manage to get 5/6 hours every night. That's our normal routine. There's not enough hours in the day for me to have any more.

Just a suggestion, although I think I know the answer. Does he want to go outside? Or are yours house cats?
I only ask because if Smudge is in at night, she will come in our room at 3/4am and scratch at the window until we let her out. Just wondered if that may solve your problem, but I have a feeling yours are house cats.