Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
14-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #11

Re: Any Ideas on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Just like us, not all cats get senile dementia. Misty was past 19 when she died, and never had the disoriented yowling thing, and she was blind also! You'd think that would have made her a bit disoriented but she coped amazingly with it; she hid it so well I thought her slower moving and hesitant jumping were just old age and possible arthritis!
No I realise that but she is the only one of "my" cats who has lived past Portia's age so I had no experience of it. George was a bit tottery and very deaf but mostly pretty normal

I think if like with your cat it comes on slowly they adapt really well!

Mum thinks I am being daft and Portia is just a demanding baggage She IS a demanding baggage but after reading up on the dementia thing she has other symptoms like forgetting to eat for hours on end and having to be reminded, and missing the litter tray which is happening more often (luckily my tray is on a plastic backed door mat I just bung in the machine!) .......

Ach I'll just keep an eye on her and see how she goes

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
15-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #12

Ask the vet to check her blood pressure. Bobby started to wail in the night when he was 14, and he didn't look terribly well/happy though there was nothing I could put my finger on. The vet found his blood pressure had gone through the roof. He had to have tablets for the rest of his life, within 2 days he stopped crying in the night and did look brighter and more content (though with him being blind he didn't get very active).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #13

Cats are all different some get "confused and call out for reassurance" others potter through old age in silence.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
15-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #14

I spoke to my vet on the telephone today and she says she doesn't think it is anything to worry about at the moment - she only saw Pousse recently anyway as her ongoing checking for getting her up to ideal weight etc since she came from the Rescue. I am happy to say she has maintained an ideal weight since July

I am seeing the vet next week with them all anyway and she will give her a thorough once-over to reassure me I'll ask about the blood pressure Tinker too - thanks for that.

She's been very well today fussing over my best mate and generally dominating the sofa as usual.

Thank you as ever for the useful advice and for "listening" to me ramble.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #15

Sorry, Elaine, just caught this! No, I don't; think it was simply old age. She hid it so cleverly I didn't realize it till one day she was sitting on my lap and I switched the reading lamp on and her pupils didn't contract at all! I had a horrible idea what it was, and got the flashlight and shined it in her eyes; same result. I didn't see any point taking her to the vet as she was terrified of it; and total blindness isn't treatable. She was in excellent health otherwise, enjoying life and her food, so we just coped. Fortunately I'm not a person who re-arranges furniture, so she had no trouble getting around; no one would have known she was blind.