Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Stray
14-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #21

Re: Kitten & My Bed!!!

aah yes maybe i'll try that and hopefully he's stay on the floor, stupid question but how do you tell a cat off? I shout at him but he just ignores me, i think i saw him stick two fingers up at me last night!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiab
aah yes maybe i'll try that and hopefully he's stay on the floor, stupid question but how do you tell a cat off? I shout at him but he just ignores me, i think i saw him stick two fingers up at me last night!
, I find just saying no to my lot works....
Wish you were nearer to me, I know someone who would take him...

Cats owned: 1 tabby and 1 ginger/white moggy
14-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #23

Claudia,

No real advice but just thought I'd let you know my experience:

When we got our first ever cats (8 week old kittens) I was shocked by how much they managed to interrupt our night's sleep (given that I used to sleep through anything and everything). I have an open plan downstairs too and so couldn't shut them in a room down there. Closing the bedroom door just resulted in them scratching all night to be let in.

In the end we just put up with a few weeks of interrupted sleep, ignored them whenever they woke us up (or picked them up and dumped them out in the hall) and eventually they stopped and just started sleeping on the bed.

As for letting them outside overnight - we didn't let our kittens out until they were 6months old and spayed. After that we did try to lock them in the house overnight but eventually they figured that out and started not coming home when it got dark so we gave up and let them go out when they wanted. Not sure if this is the 'official' advice but it worked for us.

Hope you manage to get everything sorted.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #24

Hello Claudia, can I ask how long you have had this kitten and where it came from?

Catsey Junior

14-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #25

I have it since 4th November and it just wandered in and has never left. i have left adverts all over my estate, and at all the vets places but no one has come forward. I am a little worried as i can't afford vets fees so wouldn't be able to pay for neutering or vaccinations etc which obviously all cats need i presume, i just wish his rude and ignorant real family would show up, but hey that looks like its too much to ask!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #26

Have you tried to find him a new home?? there may be someone looking for a kitten local to you..

Catsey Junior

14-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #27

yep i've asked about put up adverts but heard nothing, fingers crossed someone will take him and soon, the vet surgery said i should keep him til i find him a new home - i only let him in cos he was scared of the fireworks going off - that'll teach me in future!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiab
I have it since 4th November and it just wandered in and has never left. i have left adverts all over my estate, and at all the vets places but no one has come forward. I am a little worried as i can't afford vets fees so wouldn't be able to pay for neutering or vaccinations etc which obviously all cats need i presume, i just wish his rude and ignorant real family would show up, but hey that looks like its too much to ask!
Claudia, it seems you took this kitten in around Bonfire night which was kind of you as no cat/kitten should be allowed to roam when there are firework being let off. I understand that you had no intention of owning a cat and you were just looking after this little one until you found it's owners so now maybe, instead of offering him/her to just anyone, you could contact your local Cat's Protection in Swindon and hand the kitten over to then. They will give the kitten a better chance of finding a home where it will be loved and cared for for the rest of its life.
Here's a link to their website, give them a ring and see if they can help.

http://www.swindoncp.co.uk/

Please let us know how you get on...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
14-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #29

Why the hell did you take the kitten in when you had no intentions of keeping him or knowledge of how to care for him?

You ask about punishing him, you've been spraying him with water, you want to shut him out all night or in the garage, no wonder he wakes you up at night, he's probably getting his own back.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I hear tales like this every day of the week!

Contact as many rescue places as you can & ask if they can help you out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
14-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #30

I am frustrated by this thread and agree with Mags about rehoming asap. Kittens take a lot of care as does owing a puppy....(do you remember what that was like being a dog lover??) The training process is exasperating but eventually things settle down so although you say you have tried the advice that has been offered you have to put it in for a couple of months to see the difference and be consistent ( a bit like what you do with children). If this really isn't what you are prepared to do then you need to rehome this kitten.

I cannot believe however that you have come onto a cat lovers site to inform us about your mothers unruly dogs killing kittens unless it is to get a reaction from the members here. Can you explain why you keep offering this information (in detail) if not for this reason. Your mother should not be owning dogs that she can not control (if indeed this thread is true) and although you say they wouldn't harm people how can you verify this with the behaviour they are curently allowed to display?