Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
31-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #1

please help! advice needed!

Hi, i currently live in a flat and have one female cat and my flat mate has a male cat. I am now moving house and we are having to separate the cats. I am going to get a new kitten to keep my cat company but dont know whether to let my old cat settle in to the new home or introduce both cats to the new territory at once? My old cat is used to other cats and sometimes comes to stay with me at my mums and gets on with her cat quite happily.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i just want to do the best for my pet. thanks!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #2

Re: please help! advice needed!

Sorry I can't give advise ToddKat. Hopefully someone else will be along shortly who has experience of moving cat/s. Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
31-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #3

Think I would let your cat settle down and get used to its new surroundings before introducing a kitten....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
31-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #4

I too think it would be better to let the existing cat settle into the now place before getting another. Wishing you both a happy new year and hope the move isnt too stressfull on either of you xxx
Oh and welcome to Catsey

Catsey Junior

31-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #5

thanks for all your advice i think i will wait and let my cat settle first it is probably best for her.
thanks again,
Happy New Yr! x

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #6

Welcome to Catsey!

I hope your house move goes well ........please let us know how your cat settles in..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #7

I agree; moving house can be stressful for the cat; I'd let her get settled in before intro ducing the kitten. Good luck with the move, and do let us know how it goes. Happy New Year!

Catsey Junior

01-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #8

The only thing I'm worried about though Is the fact my old cat will b on her own in the new house for a few weeks when she's so used to being around other cats?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #9

You could get one or two feliway diffusers for the new house, may help her to settle a little quicker, perhaps even a few drops of rescue remedy in her food or water too.
I am sure she will settle alot quicker than you might think but if you stress too much about it, she is sure to pick up on that. So just remain calm and treat her the same as always. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #10

Excellent advice from Elaine. Cats are uncannily quick to pick up on our emotions and react accordingly. I think she'll cope just fine being an only cat for a bit while she adjusts to the new house.