Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #21

Re: Cats in the Bedroom at Night

Good for you, Meep! I couldn't do it. Cats do adapt to routine, so hopefully it won't be too long before they adjust....although as I said in another post, it's hard to out-stubborn a cat!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
18-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #22

To be honest Eileen, when you're woken up at 3am to scratching and yowling, no matter how pitiful it sounds, I'm too much of a sleepy grump to cave at that point So I have sleep-deprived grumpiness on my stubborn side!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #23

I admire and respect your resolve meep! You are not being cruel to your boys - after all, you've bought them both a lovely bed to sleep in. They'll get used to it. IMO, you are right not to give in to them - once you do, that will be your resolve broken.

I wonder though how you will feel when your OH is away and it would be so lovely to have them to keep you company?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese
18-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #24

I am absolutely certain they will not love you any the less for it - we certainly get plenty of love and affection from Chino.

Unfortunately he is not very well at the moment, which is upsetting as we have only had him for 4 months and seemed healthy for a 12 year old. He has been to the vets twice since Friday and now has to go again tomorrow as he keeps going on his litter tray without urinating - he has had a urine sample tested and no infection so do not know what will be next.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I admire and respect your resolve meep! You are not being cruel to your boys - after all, you've bought them both a lovely bed to sleep in. They'll get used to it. IMO, you are right not to give in to them - once you do, that will be your resolve broken.

I wonder though how you will feel when your OH is away and it would be so lovely to have them to keep you company?

Get a sleeping bag and join them in the living room?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #26

I thought of you at 5.30am when Chester came for a chat! The fire must have finally gone out, so he came up to pripp and chirrup and go under the duvet and rasp my inner arm and purr and knead with claws out .........
When I was properly awake and unable to go back to sleep he took himself off to sleep on top of the covers, at my feet. Ho hum
Don't you just love 'em?

Almost a Veteran Member

19-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #27

Day 2

Wow, what a night! From the moment we shut the door to waking up this morning there wasn't one peep! A complete change from the first night.

I went to bed slightly early and read a book whilst OH stayed up on the computer. As we weren't both in bed with lights out I left the bedroom door open and Minsky came and joined me on the bed whilst I read. Half an hour later when OH came through, he gently urged Minsky off the bed, which he did without a grumble, and then took them both through to the living room, then came back and shut the door. And voila. We didn't hear anything until morning! A small miracle!

They seemed to be waiting for us in the morning outside the bedroom door, as the moment OH's alarm went off Darcy started meowing and scratching at the door, for the first time all night. But I see that as 'good' behaviour as he didn't disturb us until he thought we were awake, bless him.

This morning neither of them again seemed worse for wear, and I would say it has made them slightly more affectionate in the morning as before Darcy would be all over me before breakfast, get his breakfast, then go to the box above the wardrobe and sleep being even slightly grumpy and wanting to be left alone. But now he'll eat his breakfast then sit by me whilst I eat mine, purring with a content look on his face. I don't think he's any more 'clingy' or insecure, just affectionate.

I don't want to speak too soon, but here's hoping tonight will be the same! I really am astounded at how quickly they've come round to the idea. They do love their beds though, normally when we're watching tv in the evening they bound around trying to get our attention but it was strangely quiet for a good hour and I realised they were both curled up in their beds, bless

Almost a Veteran Member

19-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh

Good question Angie! I'm not sure... I wouldn't want to disrupt a routine when they get into it, especially as they seem to have adapted to this new one so well. To be honest, I would be sorely tempted to let them sleep on the bed if OH was away. I don't know how much that would take us back to before, or whether they'd understand it as a 'treat'. I might try it once and then see how easily they go back to being kept out the bedroom the next night. Is that naughty of me?

Almost a Veteran Member

19-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Get a sleeping bag and join them in the living room?
They might think I've gone loopy!

Almost a Veteran Member

19-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
I thought of you at 5.30am when Chester came for a chat! The fire must have finally gone out, so he came up to pripp and chirrup and go under the duvet and rasp my inner arm and purr and knead with claws out .........
When I was properly awake and unable to go back to sleep he took himself off to sleep on top of the covers, at my feet. Ho hum
Don't you just love 'em?
Oh Dm, that made me smile. Sounds just like my two. Especially the pripp and chirrup noises, that's the noises Minsky always makes when he comes to investigate whilst we're still asleep in bed. I wonder what it means?

Hope you're not too sleepy this morning after chester's late night visit!