Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #21

Re: bengal traits

Kathryn, is Murray the Mauler (love the name BTW!) a large cat? Looks like it in his pics. I ask because one of our members has two very large active, smart tabbies with suspected Bengal ancestry .....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
17-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #22

maybe she is half or a 1/4 bengal? but if the people you bought them from dont know there cats backgrounds i dont know as people normally know when they buy half bengal/bengal as thats whats in the advert?

i mean to look at my tiny cat you would say 'part bengal?!' but he is including a singa & moggy! so you never know!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
17-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #23

her mum is a small all black cat but her dad looks like her

Catsey Senior

17-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #24

he might be part bengal then and mum is prob a moggy

Catsey Senior

17-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #25

from pics ive e-mailed to the previous owners,they said they dont know where dad lives,but have seen him about

Catsey Senior

17-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #26

oooo right well i dunno follow him home!

he isnt a bengal though not a full one, poss half or quater

Catsey Senior

17-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #27

i cant lol,i dont live near them

Catsey Senior

17-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #28

he as in dad or as in cass who is female

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
17-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Hi this is Murray the mauler!

His mother was one of the first generation Bengals (so i was told) she was feisty but ok with her owner his father the local tom! His mother had a pedigree litter but became pregnant again (careless breeder) when the 1st litter were 4wks old. He is a great cat but was difficult with other cats , ok with most of my others, gets extremely frustrated if he cannot go out, is destructive, but also very clever can open Chubb locks! as well as most type of doors, loves water, has been seen wading in the neigbours pond fishing !!Does a lot of wailing especially if he is out & wants in, rips the toilet paper to bits usually when he has peed in the toilet ( yes he is very clever!)& before we had cat proof fencing would go into anyones house & steal things, he is very affectionate & I love him to bits.
Here he is with his 'special needs' friend Declan showing his soft side!

X K
Kathyrn, Murray is beautiful! And your post is really interesting. They can't have been breeding Bengals for long at all if your boy is the son of the one of the first? He sounds like an absolute character, and a few parts of that description ring true with my two.

They will wail and wail if they're not geting what they want (usually attention! but occasionally if they have used the litter tray and they wanted it cleaned out immediately! or a door opened.

They're also quite intelligent, although never seen them open a door! Could be because all of ours are round handles that they couldn't grasp if they tried. But Darcy does very sneakily, and on purpose, push things off on shelves with his paw or nose in order to wake us up in the morning. At first we thought he was clumsy as he does it most mornings, but then one weekend morning we were lying in bed and watching him, and he purposely pushed OH's deodorant, my deodorant, my nailvarnish, one by one off the shelf and after each one he'd look over at us in hope that we'd get up Has to take a few brain cells!

Also the size issues. Bengals are supposed to be much larger than average cats (although not as big as Maine Coon's) and my two certainley are, and I must admit Murray looks like a big lad himself!

I'm not sure if it's wishful thinking on my part that my two have Bengal in them (and I do think quite a lot, either one of their parents was pure Bengal or once away from...) My reasons are:

- their markings, lots of thick tiger stripes
- their size and shape. Very big (weigh 6kilos each but not fat at all!) and also their snouts. Bengals have very pronounced snouts, pointed ears and big eyes. Darcy's face is strikingly like a Bengal that used to live beside us when I was a kid.
- their energy. They are forever bounding around the flat, meowing to play a game, they love chasing balls. Minsky will jump up in the air and catch it in his front paws, then 'fetch' it back to me in his mouth. Very high energy, very aerobic, and very intelligent when playing games!
- their vocality (as explained above)
- their affection. I know most of our pusses are affectionate and loving, but my two demand attention. Darcy especially loves to be picked up and held, and will purr like a motor for half an hour at a time.

I can't think of anything else just now, but they do just feel very 'bengal'-y to me And I like it! The only things, from the descriptions of Bengals in this thread, that they don't display is aggression. Although, they are the only cats in the flat, they don't ge toutside, and their brothers. They do play-fight together daily, and it can get quite vicious but they never seem hurt and are happy as larry after. Although often missing big chunks of fluff, left to float around the flat! And their love of water. They don't seem bothered by water at all.

Just my two cents on my two! Sorry this post is so long!