Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
11-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #1

bengal traits

hi any one got a bengal or bengal x,i need advice

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
12-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #2

Re: bengal traits

I've never owned a Bengal, although I would love to, so I can't offer direct advice. But from researching the breed myself here's what I've learnt:

- they are usually larger than the average moggie cat, average weight is 6 kilos.
- they are very high energy and are best suited to a home with outdoor access as if they're kept inside in a small space they can get frustrated and bored.
- they are very, very friendly and companionable and love lots of human contact.
- they are very intelligent and can often be trained to do small tricks such as roll over, sit, beg, fetch the ball.
- their fur is different to all other cat breeds, due to their origins, and is much silkier than normal cats fur.
- they are quite vocal as well (although not as vocal as siamese!)

This is only what I can remember, I'm sure another member will be along with more advice soon

Have you just taken on your wee bengal cat?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #3

niki - why don't you PM Az?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
12-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #4

Reading that description of the Bengal they would seem to be the perfect family pet although when I asked the question to someone in rescue who was inundated with Bengals she said it was because they were quite aggressive.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #5

I have never had a bengal but have heard that they can be aggressive with other cats, that said, I have a friend who runs an independant cat rescue and she has two, they get along just fine with all the others.
Dont they also like to play in water?
They are excellent climbers so watch out for those expensive curtains

Catsey Senior

12-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #6

this is cass,im sur she has some bengal in her,she isnt very vocal as yet (thank god)and yes she loves water,i hear her pinging the animals water bowl,then usually the water ends up on the floor

she is just over 7 mnths old now and not very big,but is long,her tail is huge and bushy like a racoon,i asked the vet if she was any breed he said no,im not so sure,she's not ur tyical tabby colouring or patterning

btw who is az?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
12-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #7

my cat has a bit of Bengal but he is small due to the other breeds he was bred with!

loves water - gets in the bath/shower/sink (when there on!!) plays in his water bowl which goes Everywhere! Very annoying!!
talks all the time high energy, loves to jump Very high from the spot! has the most intense green eyes Ive ever seen a very silky coat & slight marble/spotty markings in his coat.

doesn't talk a half as much as my Siamese x though!

i am getting a Full Bengal next year & i contacted another breeder about a different breed of cat and she refused to sell me any of her cats as i will have a Bengal! she said that 2 of her kittens had been killed & 2 re homed due to Bengals already in the home so she wont sell to people with Bengals anymore!

what makes you think she has Bengal in her? do you know any thing about her parents?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #8

Az is The Boss of Catsey (and it's sister site, Dogsey). he has a lovely Bengal, Cheetah.

I too have heard they don't get along too well with other breeds, but suppose it depends on the personality of the cats involved. They are indeed high energy cats!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #9

Your Cass certainly is a lovely looking cat, Bengal genes or not!

There are other members here who have Bengals - perhaps if one of the Mods picks up on this thread, they could advise you who to contact.

Catsey Senior

12-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #10

her mum is all black and small but her dad looks like her

they dont know wot breed if any the dad is