Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Siamese
20-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #1

Kittens hissing....

Hi everyone,

I went to get my new kittens today and they're stunning, but I can't understand why they hiss when I go near them? I've tried to feed them a little bit and give them water, the larger one had some food, but the black didn't, and neither have had water or used the tray, they've been in their bed since I put them there earlier after I'd shown them round?

What can I do to make sure that the aren't always scared of me? And how can i make sure they get some food and some water? I'm worried they just don't like me?

I don't think they've been handled a lot before, it was obviously an accidental litter....

Any advice, greatly appreciated.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #2

Re: Kittens hissing....

They just need time, as they will feel strange to begin with, I would just let them come to you when they are ready....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #3

One of the best things you can do is to sit on the floor quietly, read a book or a magazine, and let them come to you. Cats and kittens are quite curious creatures and will come and explore you. Just dont make any fast moves.
Its very early days, and they will ofcourse be unsettled, give them time

Catsey Junior

20-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #4

Ok thanks guys xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
20-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #5

Ok hun sounds like they haven't been handled very much but don't despair, I have had a couple come from dodgy beginnings who have turned out just fine!

What I would suggest is putting their bed, food and litter tray all in one room and restrict them to this room to begin with. Put some food in 2 wee bowls for them (one each) and some water and just leave them to it. They will eat when they are hungry. For the first few days just leave them be and as hard as it is just let them get used to their new surrounding without making too much of a fuss over them, when they come out of hiding (and they will) just let them be and they will get braver and braver by the day. Some take longer than others but mark my words, in a couple of weeks time they will be causing all sorts of mischief! Just make sure the room is safe for them and that they can't get tangled or trapped in anything when you are not there and you're set!

All the best with them Lorna. x

Catsey Junior

20-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #6

Thanks Kel, makes me feel better, I just want them to be happy in our home! xx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #7

Just imagine if you went to stay in a different house with nobody you knew........it would feel very strange to you too and it would take you some time to get used to it. It is similar for the kittens, Lorna, they have been taken away from their mum and are in surrounding they are not familiar with. They have only just met you and are still on their guard...... they need time to settle in peacefully.

As Random so rightly said, restrict them to one room at first, sit on the floor with them and don't overfuss them at this stage ......... before you know it they will be running everywhere.....worktops, curtains and all!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
20-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna
Thanks Kel, makes me feel better, I just want them to be happy in our home! xx
They will be Lorna, they just need to settle, my Siamese took the longest - about 2 weeks and she was the only one to come from a 'proper' breeder who knew what they were doing!

I think with always having dogs it's sometimes difficult to adjust that kittens need a very different approach when they come home as babies as with pups they just want to snuggle up with you from day one but they will come round soon enough hun and you will see their characters start to show.

Catsey Junior

20-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #9

Thanks guys you're right I know, I trust you all

xxxx

Catsey Junior

20-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #10

Choco is in the bed, but the other, who I haven't yet named is out and about and meowing?