Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #1

tortie shelter

I had to do something! As the weather has been worsening again over the last few days, OH and I decided we had to do something for 'our' little tortie girls. We can't have them in the house with our 3 and we can't let them in the shed as it's too crowded so we made them a shelter outside our back door The girls have a little plastic table that they got during the summer from Tesco, so we put that there with an old heavy duvet cover that was bound for a charity shop over the top of it so it completely covers all 4 sides. Then I put an old pet basket I had in side it with some old towels to line it. And I've put food and water in side it. We did this 2 nights ago, the first night Splodge (sorry for the names) slept in it and last night she brought Stripe! I went out earlier and they both shot out to say hello to me. I went on a website which told me how to how to build a cat igloo with two polystyrene fish containers, so will be off to the local fishmonger on monday to build a proper one. I know it's not the best thing to do, but as I can't find anyone to rehome them, I couldn't just let them freeze.

Smudgley do you know of any organisations round here that will neuter them free of charge as they a re feral?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #2

Re: tortie shelter

Alex, what a great thing for you to do, as otherwise they'd have no shelter whatsoever! That's what my neighbor and friend Carolyn did last winter for the stray little black cat, the one I'm calling Onyx; she put a large cardboard box under her front porch wrapped in heavy plastic and lined it with warm blankets...Onyx made it through the winter OK! Are Splodge and Stripe too feral to be adopted?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
18-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #3

The lady I asked about your kitten, never got back to me - so I pressume she doesn't want to take her on.

I would neuter them for you through Cats Protection if you were local (but I can only speak for the branch I'm involved with) in other words I can't say for sure that your local branch would, but I'm sure they will if you explain. try them, if not try Cat action trust or RSPCA.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #4

Bless you Alex. I'm sure someone will help you with the neutering . . . all the ferals round here seem to have disappeared; I've stopped leaving food out as nobody came to eat it

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
18-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #5

Cat77's website has a list of the branches somewhere - there are only 10 around the country though, so dont know if there will be one near you. www.cat77.org.uk Have also pmd you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
18-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
Cat77's website has a list of the branches somewhere - there are only 10 around the country though, so dont know if there will be one near you. www.cat77.org.uk Have also pmd you
Alex - your nearest Cat action trust (cat77) is Bewdley.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #7

Where the heck is Bewdley? Remember I'm Scottish and have only ventured as far as Wolverhampton on occasion, lol.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #8

That sounds quite a nice cosy little den.
Hope they don't need it for too long though.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #9

What a lovely thoughtful thing to do for the kittens Alex! I'm sure they appreciate your kindness......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
20-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #10

Aww bless them, I bet they will be all cozy comfy now x