Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
06-12-2010, 01:52 AM   #1

Tax Dodgers!

What do you think? Should big businesses be forced to pay their fair share - or be allowed to get away with dodging like they have for so long?

Phillip Green slipped £1.2 billion into his wifes account who lives in Monaco... on which she paid ZERO tax. Losing us, the British Taxpayer £285 million And what's worse - he's been appointed to advise the government on how best to slash public services!!!

Here's a snippet from the guardian:

Quote:
While Green lives and works in the UK, the Arcadia Group is registered in the name of his wife, Tina, who is resident in Monaco and so enjoys a 0% income-tax rate. In 2005 this arrangement allowed the Greens to bank £1.2bn, the biggest paycheck in British corporate history, without paying a penny in tax. This completely legal dodge cost the British taxpayer £285m, enough to pay the salaries of 9,000 NHS nurses or the £9,000 fees of close to 32,000 students. In an age of austerity, the link between tax avoidance and public sector cuts becomes crystal clear.
And here's a short video of a demonstration that was held in London.

[yt]PZoszLM6a2c[/yt]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady in the video
The government isn't doing enough, about tax dodgers. Huge cuts falling heaviest on the poorest and the rich are getting away with it - this is a brilliant demonstration as it goes right to the heart of the matter.
I completely agree. Makes me want to join the Protest Movement! In fact, a year or so ago, I signed up a website domain to help people organise campaigns (although I had things like campaigns for the banning of electric shock collars and 100% disclosure in the ingredients lists of our foods in mind!). Might have to do something with it as a side project anyone interested in it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #2

Re: Tax Dodgers!

I think it's appalling Az - makes me want to jump up and down and wave a big stick in the air.

I have on occasion signed petitions on the Downing Street website and while individuals do get some feedback on what happens to the petitions once in a while generally it's out of sight out of mind. I may disagree with some of the ways that our students have chosen to demonstrate against fee increases but at least it is very visual, on the News and in your face.

Admin Team

Az is Male
06-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #3

Totally agree Angieh! It's a shame people often get ignored - if I do that side project it will help people get more notice

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #4

I'm intrigued!

Admin Team

Az is Male
06-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #5

Watch this space

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #6

I'm watching

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #7

A lot of large companies and higher earners pay the least tax because they can afford the advice (which is very complex) or exploit our tax systems loop holes. There are far far too many loop holes in our tax system to stop this type of tax planning. As soon as they legislate against them, the companies devising them come up with another.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
06-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #8

Also there is a big big difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance.