Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #1

Weather News!

Perhaps a bit late to have a dedicated thread to weather topics??? But they are promising MORE SNOW .....

I was jumping up and down watching the News this evening .... poor blokes stuck on a train for 9 HOURS not moving. One man interviewed (how did they get the camera crew on and off again???) said that he had worked for several years in Moscow and had travelled to work on public transport every day and never encountered any problem.

Can anyone tell me WHY UK grinds to a halt at the slightest sign of snow??? I don't mean to minimise the hardships that many people are going through during this awful cold weather - but WHY can't we cope or at least keep things moving.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
01-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #2

Re: Weather News!

There was an article on radio a few weeks ago. Said something like Russia and Scandanavian countries have so much snow for so long they invest a great deal of money on 'keeping everything going'. They don't do just ploughs and gritting but have massive snow clearing machines. The infrastructure includes snow and ice clearing in all ways.

Whereas the UK has relatively little bad weather as a whole so we don't spend the same massive amount of money for use for a few short weeks in total.

It did make a lot of sense as they were talking billions of pounds. - doesn't make me feel much better at present tho'

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
01-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

We are quite lucky up here, because its common for us to have a lot of snow, we are pretty much organized for it...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #4

Tell me about it! Washington is notorious for falling apart and going into panic mode when we get even a light snow, not to mention the complete shutdown last February when we had two back-to-back blizzards with 24"!

Once again, it's a question of not getting it often enough to need heavy investment in equipment, and that people just don't know how to cope with driving in it. And the Metro had to shut down all its aboveground stations last year. The side streets don't get plowed or gritted, so what good is it if the main roads are open if no one can get to them?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #5

Angie you know as well as I do we have the wrong type of snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Kazz going back to bed with tongue in cheek

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
01-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #6

I've definitely had enough of what we've got! Just disrupts life far too much...